[comp.mail.elm] Elm source postings...

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (06/26/88)

In article <413@dsinc.UUCP> syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) writes:
>As a loser in this vote, let me congradulate the winner, and say,
>I think the net made a good choice.  Now on to the flames: (One only
>and its not even a flame)
>
>1.  I don't think we should post the gamma sources.  I think instead
>we should make them available for anon uucp, and I volunteer my site
>as one place to get them from.   My reason, the net is already crowded,
>this gamma release will quickly be superceeded.

I sent private mail to the coordinator making the same suggestion, but
I also added the point that 2.0 gamma is notably _less_ stable than
1.7beta or even 1.5, which itself was frustrating.

If you post the sources, everyone will grab it, install it, use it,
and get annoyed.  That is not the approach that is currently desired.
I also suggested making it available by anon-uucp.  That way, anyone
who wants it, and also understands the "dangers" (or chances) they
will be taking, will also have to make the effort to get it.  There
should not be a source posting until some "major" problems are dealt
with and solved (in other words, do not post anything that has the
terms alpha, beta or gamma associated to it.  Only post true, completed
and tested products.

--
"I've been trying for some time to                           Robert J. Granvin
 develop a life-style that doesn't          National Information Systems, Inc.

mike@ists (Mike Clarkson) (06/28/88)

In article <593@sialis.mn.org>, rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
> I sent private mail to the coordinator making the same suggestion, but
> I also added the point that 2.0 gamma is notably _less_ stable than
> 1.7beta or even 1.5, which itself was frustrating.

If elm 2.0 is less stable than 1.7beta, I don't even want to know about it!

Mailers are critical elements of a system.  Let's clean it up first before
it's posted.  It's way too big (2 Meg) to post often.

--
Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	mike@ists.yorku.ca

dave@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) (06/30/88)

From article <157@ists>, by mike@ists (Mike Clarkson):
> In article <593@sialis.mn.org>, rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
>> I sent private mail to the coordinator making the same suggestion, but
>> I also added the point that 2.0 gamma is notably _less_ stable than
>> 1.7beta or even 1.5, which itself was frustrating.
>
> If elm 2.0 is less stable than 1.7beta, I don't even want to know about it!
>
> Mailers are critical elements of a system.  Let's clean it up first before
> it's posted.  It's way too big (2 Meg) to post often.

I just wanted to concur with Mike's opinion. I have 2.0 but am still running
1.7b for my users. Let's get this sucker cleaned up by the few to save the many
lots of headaches.

Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee
Internet: dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu  Uucp: uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!dave {o,o}
Csnet:	  dave%uwmcsd4@uwm	   Bellnet: +1 (414) 229-5133        \u/
ICBM: 43 4 58 N/ 87 55 52 W  Usnail: Box 413 EMS E380, Milw WI 53201