[comp.mail.elm] 'from' conflict with UCB

oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Brian O'Neill) (07/03/88)

I just realized that there is a program '/usr/ucb/from' already on most BSD
system, and it conflicts with Elm's 'from'. They have the same basic
purpose, but different output (I like Elm's). However, I did not want to
just remove /usr/ucb/from, in case anyone needs it, but having two 'from'
commands just leads into trouble. Perhaps a name change is in order to
prevent this conflict??

Brian O'Neill - Wang Institute of Boston University,  Tyngsboro, MA
UUCP:  {decvax!elrond,ulowell}!bu-tyng!oneill - oneill@bu-tyng.UUCP
Internet: oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu	                 (617) 649-9731 x14

dave@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) (07/04/88)

From article <1596@bu-tyng.bu.edu>, by oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Brian O'Neill):
> I just realized that there is a program '/usr/ucb/from' already on most BSD
> system, and it conflicts with Elm's 'from'. They have the same basic
> purpose, but different output (I like Elm's). However, I did not want to
> just remove /usr/ucb/from, in case anyone needs it, but having two 'from'
> commands just leads into trouble. Perhaps a name change is in order to
> prevent this conflict??

I call the elm version 'frm' for whatever that's worth.

Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee
Internet: dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu  Uucp: uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!dave {o,o}
Csnet:	  dave%uwmcsd4@uwm	   Bellnet: +1 (414) 229-5133        \u/
ICBM: 43 4 58 N/ 87 55 52 W  Usnail: Box 413 EMS E380, Milw WI 53201

darrell@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM (07/04/88)

/* Written 12:37 pm  Jul  2, 1988 by oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu in urbsdc:comp.mail.elm */
/* ---------- "'from' conflict with UCB" ---------- */
> I just realized that there is a program '/usr/ucb/from' already on most BSD
> system, and it conflicts with Elm's 'from'.

You're right.  We have /usr/ucb/from on at least one of our systems
here.  Looks like a name change is in order; perhaps our new "keeper of
the source" can coordinate this change.

--
Darrell McIntosh
Gould CSD, Urbana Software Development Center

edc@ALTOS.COM (Eric Christensen) (07/06/88)

In article <6138@uwmcsd1.UUCP> dave@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
>From article <1596@bu-tyng.bu.edu>, by oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Brian O'Neill):
>> I just realized that there is a program '/usr/ucb/from' already on most BSD
>> system, and it conflicts with Elm's 'from'. They have the same basic
>> purpose, but different output (I like Elm's). However, I did not want to
>> just remove /usr/ucb/from, in case anyone needs it, but having two 'from'
>> commands just leads into trouble. Perhaps a name change is in order to
>> prevent this conflict??
>
>I call the elm version 'frm' for whatever that's worth.

Agreed! As much as I hate to change it, that's a good idea. Unless someone has
a reasonable bitch, from(1) will become frm(1) in the 2.0 release.

--
+-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+
| Eric D. Christensen     | Email: edc@altnet.altos.com  (uunet!altnet!edc)  |
| Altos Computer Systems  +--------------------------------------------------+
| 399 West Trimble Road   |  Note: There are no spelling errors in this      |
| San Jose, Ca. 95131     |        message.... I just can't type!            |
+-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+
| These views aren't Altos' - They're mine, all mine, and you can't have them|

ries@trwrb.UUCP (Marc Ries) (07/07/88)

In article <561@altnet.ALTOS.COM> edc@altnet.UUCP (Eric Christensen) writes:
>In article <6138@uwmcsd1.UUCP> dave@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
[>From article <1596@bu-tyng.bu.edu>, by oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Brian O'Neill):
[>> I just realized that there is a program '/usr/ucb/from' already on most BSD
[>> system, and it conflicts with Elm's 'from'. They have the same basic
[...]
[
[Agreed! As much as I hate to change it, that's a good idea. Unless someone has
[a reasonable bitch, from(1) will become frm(1) in the 2.0 release.
[

  I once heard about a wonderful new software product called PATH.

  It seems that if you put the elm "from" before the ucb "from" in
  this PATH, things work just fine ;-)

--
		Marc A. ries@trwrb.TRW.COM

		sdcrdcf!---\
                ihnp4!------\----- trwrb! --- ries

edc@ALTOS.COM (Eric Christensen) (07/08/88)

In article <7042@trwrb.UUCP> ries@trwrb.dsd.trw.com.UUCP (Marc Ries) writes:

>  I once heard about a wonderful new software product called PATH.
>
>  It seems that if you put the elm "from" before the ucb "from" in
>  this PATH, things work just fine ;-)

That's all fine and dandy, except for sites that install the Elm binaries in
/usr/bin! What a nasty surprise, now you just overwrote your Berkeley from(1)
with the elm from!!!! Oooops!

While I personally don't believe in installing local software in /bin or
/usr/bin, many people do. As such, I also don't believe in giving a loaded
gun to an idiot... he'll probably shoot himself, or someone else :-)

--