[comp.mail.elm] Problems running elm as sgid

dpb@tellab5.UUCP (Darryl Baker) (07/09/88)

I know 2.0 is due out soon but I was wondering if anyone has a fix for a problem
I'm having on my home machine.

I have a PC7300 at home and decided to install elm as a suid mailer well
everything is fine execept that if I leave only some mail in the system mailbox
it gets unwritable by the group ( probably because of my umask ) and the
group gets change to my group NOT mail. Well after that any new mail gets
bounced.

First question is, does this happen in 2.0?
My second question is anybody got a fix that I can use while waiting for 2.0?
--
   __                      _      __
  /  )                    //     /  )       /

hack@bellboy.UUCP (Greg Hackney) (07/09/88)

In article <983@tellab5.UUCP> dpb@tellab5.UUCP (Darryl Baker) writes:

>I have a PC7300 at home and decided to install elm as a suid mailer well
>everything is fine execept that if I leave only some mail in the system mailbox
>it gets unwritable by the group

I'm a bit confused because the subject line says "group id" and
the text says "user id". It should work okay if you setgid to "mail":

chgrp mail elm
chmod 2755 elm

I have a little different problem with permissions...

When using Elm, the editor (vi or Lyrix on my system) creates a
file in /tmp that is readable by others, thus a security violation.
Instead of hacking the C code, I'm waiting for the new 2.0 release.
But in the meantime, I made a front end shell script to Elm
that says:

umask 066
exec /usr/lbin/.elm $*   #the real ELm

This also fixed the problem with my "mail.sent" file in my
home directory being readable by others. (I am on version 1.5).

--
Greg

hack@bellboy.UUCP (Greg Hackney) (07/10/88)

In article <1114@bellboy.UUCP> hack@bellboy.UUCP I write:
>In article <983@tellab5.UUCP> dpb@tellab5.UUCP (Darryl Baker) writes:
>
>>I have a PC7300 at home and decided to install elm as a suid mailer

Another hack I put on my version of Elm 1.5 was in leavembox.c
to avoid ownership problems when su'ed to root from my normal
login. This may have been fixed in later versions.

--
Greg

#include <pwd.h>
struct passwd *getpwnam();