[comp.mail.elm] Whatever happened to "Elm - the MAILER" ??

lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (07/03/88)

In article <23@n0atp.UUCP> barry@n0atp.UUCP (Barry S. Berg) writes:
>   What I propose is to put a dummy local routine in.  IBM calls this a
>   user exit on their mainframe software. The local definiation would
>   overide the external definition, not a lot of code would be generated,
>   and the system would allow the use of crypt(1) or a PD crypt if desired.
>   The following would be a code sample.

I don't usually get upset about things like this (ask Phil :-), but

NO DAMNIT!!!!

Doing this just brings us back to the situation where site admin A
uses crypt version X, and site admin B uses crypt version Z. User@A
is still bitching because his encrypted mail worked *too* *good*
when it got to Recipient@B because noone at B can decipher the damn
thing!

[ You could argue that each user could compile their own copy of elm
  with their own version of crypt. I would reply that this would just
  make the problem n factorial rather than n squared... ]

Elm is a tool that helps the user interface with the mail
transport system. It is *not* a replacement for crypt, banner,
nroff, compress, uuencode, awk, or any of the other standalone
commands for manipulating text or data. If you want to do
things with your data prior to sending it, fine. Other people
have already addressed developing those tools. Elm's sole purpose
is to allow the user to send that data to someone else quickly
and easily, and let them receive and manage incoming information
in a similar manner. Any enhancements made should promote those
goals. I think everyone could take a lesson in what a mailer
should strive to be by examining MH.

--
{alberta,pyramid,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA

barry@n0atp.UUCP (Barry S. Berg) (07/05/88)

In article <10305@ncc.Nexus.CA> lyndon@Nexus.CA writes:
>In article <23@n0atp.UUCP> barry@n0atp.UUCP (Barry S. Berg) writes:
>>   What I propose is to put a dummy local routine in.  [etc., etc., etc.]
>
>I don't usually get upset about things like this (ask Phil :-), but
>
>NO DAMNIT!!!!

    Why get upset,  all that was offered was a compromise that might
    accommodate all parties needs?  Your problem with encryption
    is another matter.  If two sites agree on an encryption method,
    and then put it in, what can you say or do to prevent it.  All
    that was offered, was a convienient means to package the "released"
    version to meet the needs expressed.

>Doing this just brings us back to the situation where site admin A
>uses crypt version X, and site admin B uses crypt version Z. User@A
>is still bitching because his encrypted mail worked *too* *good*
>when it got to Recipient@B because noone at B can decipher the damn
>thing!

    That is a problem between users.  I am not sure why there is a
    need to encrypt, I personally have no reason to encrypt my mail,
    and so would probably never remove the dummy calls thereby saving
    me memory during execution.  However, if I was mailing company
    confidential stuff from one location to another via the net
    (is that ethical by net standrds?) and may transit through a
    competitor's site maybe I would like to use the my mainframe
    encryption method.  The point was a suggestion to simplify
    life for those out there that may need or want it.  Lyndon, if
    you or I do not chose to use it I can afford a couple of null
    function calls.  If I send you something you can't read, you
    are going to let me know, correct? I see no reason in forcing
    those sites that wish to encrypt, because you choose not to.

>Elm is a tool that helps the user interface with the mail
>transport system. It is *not* a replacement for crypt, banner,
>nroff, compress, uuencode, awk, or any of the other standalone
>commands for manipulating text or data. If you want to do
>things with your data prior to sending it, fine. Other people
>have already addressed developing those tools. Elm's sole purpose
>is to allow the user to send that data to someone else quickly
>and easily, and let them receive and manage incoming information
>in a similar manner. Any enhancements made should promote those
>goals. I think everyone could take a lesson in what a mailer
>should strive to be by examining MH.

   It is obvious that other posters feel that Elm should be more.
   I really don't care whether encryption is provided or not as
   long as it does not take up too much room.  I have enough problems
   with the 286 as is.  However, some people want encryption, my point
   was we can make it flexible, and more important site dependent, and
   configurable.

--
Barry S. Berg                  	  DOMAIN: barry@n0atp.N0ATP.MN.ORG
N0ATP Packet Radio Gateway        UUCP: {...}amdahl!bungia!n0atp!barry

edc@ALTOS.COM (Eric Christensen) (07/06/88)

In article <10305@ncc.Nexus.CA> libPW.a[crypt.o] writes:
>In article <23@n0atp.UUCP> barry@n0atp.UUCP (Barry S. Berg) writes:
>>   What I propose is to put a dummy local routine in.  IBM calls this a
>>   user exit on their mainframe software. The local definiation would
>>   overide the external definition, not a lot of code would be generated,
>>   and the system would allow the use of crypt(1) or a PD crypt if desired.
>>   The following would be a code sample.
>
>Doing this just brings us back to the situation where site admin A
>uses crypt version X, and site admin B uses crypt version Z. User@A
>is still bitching because his encrypted mail worked *too* *good*
>when it got to Recipient@B because noone at B can decipher the damn
>thing!

OK folks, there are some real problems with encrypted mail. I'm the first to
admit that. But there are some benefits too. As I stated earlier, I'm for
providing encryption hooks on a optional basis (actually, Dave told me this
afternoon that the crypt stuff is all ifdefed in his 2.01 version). Go ahead
and flame me, but finish reading the rest of this first! :-)

Now, the question is how do we deal with the optional encryption? I think that
embedding ANY routine into Elm itself is a mistake. I'm all for using standalone
programs for these nasty little tasks. I think we should provide one PD crypt
with the Elm sources, so everyone who uses Elm will have access to the same
routine, but they have the option of using their own if so desired.

RFC 822 deals with this issue, and as such I believe that we should do it in
the same way. (We ARE trying to be fully RFC 822 compliant, are we not?)

The option field specification from RFC 822 looks like this:

         optional-field =
                     /  "Message-ID"        ":"   msg-id
                     /  "Resent-Message-ID" ":"   msg-id
                     /  "In-Reply-To"       ":"  *(phrase / msg-id)
                     /  "References"        ":"  *(phrase / msg-id)
                     /  "Keywords"          ":"  #phrase
                     /  "Subject"           ":"  *text
                     /  "Comments"          ":"  *text
LOOK!>>>>>           /  "Encrypted"         ":" 1#2word
                     /  extension-field              ; To be defined
                     /  user-defined-field           ; May be pre-empted

Ok? Now here's the explination of the Encrypted field:

         4.7.3.  ENCRYPTED

                 Sometimes,  data  encryption  is  used  to  increase  the
            privacy  of  message  contents.   If the body of a message has
            been encrypted, to keep its contents private, the  "Encrypted"
            field  can be used to note the fact and to indicate the nature
            of the encryption.  The first <word> parameter  indicates  the
            software  used  to  encrypt the body, and the second, optional
            <word> is intended to  aid  the  recipient  in  selecting  the
            proper  decryption  key.   This  code word may be viewed as an
            index to a table of keys held by the recipient.

            Note:  Unfortunately, headers must contain envelope,  as  well
                   as  contents,  information.  Consequently, it is neces-
                   sary that they remain unencrypted, so that  mail  tran-
                   sport   services   may   access   them.   Since  names,
                   addresses, and "Subject"  field  contents  may  contain
                   sensitive  information,  this  requirement limits total
                   message privacy.

                 Names of encryption software are registered with the Net-
            work  Information Center, SRI International, Menlo Park, Cali-
            fornia.

So we have a specification, as well as a registry for the encryption software.
Is this so bad? Agreed, we're taking a little artistic licence with the
'encryption on, encyption off' feature, but I agree with Dave. That should
probably stay.

Now you can flame me! I would like to reach some agreement on this issue fairly
soon. As it is, the 2.0 release will just have the crypt stuff ifdefed out. But
I would really like to agree on what to do with future releases. If we've got
to do it by vote, I'll accept that, but I hope that we don't have to resort to
voting on every design issue, enhancement, or modification that someone comes
up with.

--
+-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+
| Eric D. Christensen     | Email: edc@altnet.altos.com  (uunet!altnet!edc)  |
| Altos Computer Systems  +--------------------------------------------------+
| 399 West Trimble Road   |  Note: There are no spelling errors in this      |
| San Jose, Ca. 95131     |        message.... I just can't type!            |
+-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+
| These views aren't Altos' - They're mine, all mine, and you can't have them|

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (07/07/88)

In article <560@altnet.ALTOS.COM> edc@altnet.UUCP (Eric Christensen) writes:

>programs for these nasty little tasks. I think we should provide one PD crypt
>with the Elm sources, so everyone who uses Elm will have access to the same
>routine, but they have the option of using their own if so desired.
>
>RFC 822 deals with this issue, and as such I believe that we should do it in
>the same way. (We ARE trying to be fully RFC 822 compliant, are we not?)
>
>soon. As it is, the 2.0 release will just have the crypt stuff ifdefed out. But
>I would really like to agree on what to do with future releases. If we've got

I propose that the current encryption code in elm be pulled out and
put into a separate program (mailcrypt?) that elm will invoke.  Do use
the RFC 822 method of indicating encryption in the header.  This is
backward compatible, doesn't need any ifdefs (elm could invoke
mailcrypt automatically or you can use | mailcrypt) and is flexible
(in case someone wants to use something like crypt and
uuencode/uudecode).  Perhaps mailcrypt and crypt/uuencode should be
registered rfc 822 encryption program names.

I'd be really disappointed if I sent mail to someone who I knew used
any version of elm and they replied that they couldn't decrypt my
mail.  The mailcrypt program could be distributed separately from elm
and might become a standard.  Make it smart enough to encrypt/decrypt
the whole message body if there are no [encode] statements; possibly
make it smart enough to recognize lines that are/are not encoded.
Just do a good enough job that MH, mailx, and MUSH users can use it.

I assume that elm is using crypt(3c).  As far as everyone seems to know,
this is not easily breakable as crypt(1) is.  If someone does find a way to
break it, then all the unix passwords are in trouble.

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

les@chinet.UUCP (Leslie Mikesell) (07/08/88)

In article <560@altnet.ALTOS.COM> edc@altnet.UUCP (Eric Christensen) writes:
>OK folks, there are some real problems with encrypted mail.
>..
>Now, the question is how do we deal with the optional encryption? I think that
>embedding ANY routine into Elm itself is a mistake. I'm all for using standalone
>programs for these nasty little tasks.
>..
>LOOK!>>>>>           /  "Encrypted"         ":" 1#2word

Does this have to apply to the entire body of the text or can it be
done for arbitrary portions.  If this method does not allow parts of
the message to be clear text, it loses functionality as compared
to the original ELM method.

Anyway, I'm more interested in being able to attach/detach multiple
files with optional uuencoding.  Perhaps some more general method
could be used, like [nnn xxx] where nnn is the number of characters
to be passed to command xxx.  For safety, something special should
be found at position nnn+1 to check for damage in transit (or perhaps
a CRC could be used), and command xxx would have to be checked against
a list of legal things at the receiving end.  Elm, being the user-friendly
beast that it is, would show you the command about to be executed and
ask for permission....

sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (07/10/88)

In article <5958@chinet.UUCP> les@chinet.UUCP (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
<In article <560@altnet.ALTOS.COM> edc@altnet.UUCP (Eric Christensen) writes:
<>..
<>Now, the question is how do we deal with the optional encryption? I think that
<>..
..
<Anyway, I'm more interested in being able to attach/detach multiple
<files with optional uuencoding.  Perhaps some more general method
<could be used, like [nnn xxx] where nnn is the number of characters
..

Are we getting abstract enough for hyperdocuments? [plot 14342] to send
an illustration?
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon  sewilco@DataPg.MN.ORG    {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress 	 UNIX masts & rigging  +1 612-825-2607    uunet!datapg!sewilco

steve@jack.UUCP (Steven Harrison) (07/11/88)

>OK folks, there are some real problems with encrypted mail. I'm the first to
>admit that. But there are some benefits too. As I stated earlier, I'm for
>providing encryption hooks on a optional basis (actually, Dave told me this
>afternoon that the crypt stuff is all ifdefed in his 2.01 version). Go ahead
>and flame me, but finish reading the rest of this first! :-)

When and where can I go about getting Version 2.01.  We love it someone
please help!!

--

J. Steven Harrison
VP Technical Services

peter@ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (07/12/88)

In article <4599@b-tech.UUCP>, zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
> I propose that the current encryption code in elm be pulled out and
> put into a separate program (mailcrypt?) that elm will invoke.  Do use
> the RFC 822 method of indicating encryption in the header.  This is

...the only logical thing to do, Captain.

I think it's pretty surprising that, given the RFC822 encryption standard,
anything else was even considered.
--
-- `-_-' Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva.
--   U   Ferranti International Controls Corporation.