[comp.mail.elm] using Elm with mmdf

arnold@muddcs.Claremont.EDU (Arnold de Leon) (07/28/88)

Has anyone used Elm with mmdf.  Does 2.1 do this?  Mmdf has replacement
for sendmail so it might be possible to use that and fool Elm.  I would
prefer a much cleaner approach.

Arnold de Leon		arnold@muddcs.claremont.edu  OR  uunet!muddcs!arnold
Harvey Mudd College	USnail:  Platt Campus Ctr, HMC, Claremont, CA 91711

pd@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Paul Davison) (07/29/88)

As a very low priority task I have been tinkering with elm to try and
get it to cooperate with mmdf. I use the mmdf sendmail substitute, as
you suggested, though eventually I want to replace this with "submit", of
course. That would also involve making the header editing section a lot
better, using termcap to provide better screen control and editing.

I had to change many bits of elm which rely on the stupid sendmail
message format, and make it understand about the 4 ^A message
seperators. It still is a bit funny; also the stuff which massages the
dates on messages (received and sent) needs looking at.

What I want to do is incorporate my hacks into 2.0 (1?) when it arrives,
and tidy it up a bit. I gather that the new version will be out before
too long. After that perhaps I shall post or mail the diffs depending on
how interested people are. They are all #ifdef'd but I must confess
it is a bit messy.

I made a similar enquiry to yours a few months ago but got no response
at all, by the way!
--
Paul Davison

UUCP:      pd@qmc-cs.uucp			| Computer Science Dept
ARPA:	   pd%cs.qmc.ac.uk@nss.ucl.ac.uk	| Queen Mary College
JANET:     pd@uk.ac.qmc.cs              	| Mile End Road
Voice:     +44 1 980 4811 x5250 		| London E1 4NS

lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (08/01/88)

In article <551@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk> pd@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Paul Davison) writes:
>What I want to do is incorporate my hacks into 2.0 (1?) when it arrives,
>and tidy it up a bit. I gather that the new version will be out before
>too long. After that perhaps I shall post or mail the diffs depending on
>how interested people are. They are all #ifdef'd but I must confess
>it is a bit messy.

It's a bit late to get it into 2.1 (the next release).

What I'm going to start working on (after we get 2.1 cleaned up and
out the door) is an interface to MH. Part of this will involve putting
together a generic mailbox/folder interface. Once this is done, adding
in MMDF mailboxes will be fairly simple (I'm not ready to tackle the
submit interface yet :-)

If anyone has any thoughts on what should be provided in the way of
generic interface capabilities, I would appreciate hearing from you.

--
VE6BBM   {alberta,pyramid,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA

awy@concurrent.co.uk (Alan Young) (08/01/88)

I too use the mmdf sendmail substitute, but with some changes. First I
fixed mmdf's sendmail to return proper exit status codes. And second,
because of the dumb way in which elm calls sendmail (always presuming
that it worked because of the "-em" flag), I actually call the following
shell script from elm:

umask 0077
tmp=/tmp/$$tmp
log=/tmp/$$log
trap "rm -f $tmp $log; exit 1" 1 2 15

calltext=/usr/lib/sendmail
em=0
while [ $# -gt 0 ]
do
    if [ "$1" = "-em" ]
    then
	em=1
    fi
    calltext="$calltext \"$1\""
    shift
done

if [ $em -eq 1 ]
then
    tee $tmp | eval $calltext >$log 2>&1
    result=$?
    if [ $result -ne 0 ]
    then
        (
            echo "Your mail was not delivered for the following reason(s)\n"
            cat $log
            echo "\n Returned message\n----------------\n"
            cat $tmp
        ) | /usr/local/mmdf/v6mail $LOGNAME -s "Failed Mail" \
	    -f "mmdf (Mail Submission System)" --qz
    fi
else
    eval $calltext