[comp.mail.elm] Help with ELM required

mike@pcsbst.UUCP (Mike Schroeder) (08/05/88)

Hi there,

we recently installed a company-wide mailing system here based on
smail 2.5 and using the alias features of smail. Now I've run
into a (small) problem using ELM (1.7 beta) as a front end.

Here's the situation: I receive mail from someone within the
company, which I save to a file named by the senders id (neat
feature of elm, btw). Say the guy's login is 'wild', so elm stores
it in file '=/wild'. So good, so far. Now I send mail to him (not
using the 'Reply' command, just 'Mail'), using his company (smail) alias,
which in this case is 'rw'. Elm promptly saves the outbound mail
in '=/misc', since file '=/rw' does not exist.

What I'd like it to do tho is to also save this mail in '=/wild'
since this is where my traffic with him should go. I.e., I want
elm to save both incoming and outgoing mail in the same file, even
tho the receipient/sender's (machine) id may be different.

Is there a way to do this with elm, maybe using elm aliases? Or do
I *have* to do it manually, say by saving incoming mail explicitly
in '=/rw' (that does mean remembering to do more typing!-()?

Any suggestions?

Cheers
--
Mike Schroeder			(cochise!mike@pcsbst.de.UUCP)
PCS GmbH; Pfaelzer-Wald-Str. 36; D-8000 Muenchen 90; W. Germany

taylor@hplabs.hp.com (Dave Taylor) (08/08/88)

An easy way to acccomplish what you want is to use the symbolic link
capabilities of Unix.  For your example, you could have a folder
called "wild" and then have a symbolic link to it called "rw".  This
way you would indeed have the `one' folder that has the dialog of
your mail to him and back ...

One of the things that I had played with was having a 'user name/login
to folder name' mapping scheme so I could have folders that are selected
by the *name* of the person I was sending mail to (eg. C)hange Mailbox
to: <Dave Taylor>) but I never got around to actually implementing it.

C'est la vie.

				Have fun --
						-- Dave Taylor

ps: Eric: when is Elm 2.1 coming out?

mike@pcsbst.UUCP (Mike Schroeder) (08/18/88)

In article <368@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:
>In article <2196@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> taylor@hplabs.hp.com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>>ps: Eric: when is Elm 2.1 coming out?
>
>Elm 2.1?    I'm still waiting for Elm 2.0.  I never saw the final release.
>How do I get it?  Has it reached any archive sites yet (especially pyramid)?

As far as I've gathered from the discussion in this group, 2.0 has
not and will not be officially released. As some (different)
versions of 2.0 are already around, Eric has decided to call the
official release version 2.1.  (makes sense if you ask me, but
then who's asking ;-)

The last date I heard was mid-August (hey, isn't that *now* ?-).
So I second Dave's question: Eric: when is Elm 2.1 coming out ???

Cheers
Mike Schroeder			(cochise!mike@pcsbst.UUCP)
PCS GmbH; Pfaelzer-Wald-Str. 36; D-8000 Muenchen 90; W. Germany
UUCP:  ...uunet!unido!pcsbst!msc
PS: anyone seen my disclaimer wandering around ?-)