[comp.mail.elm] elm for DOS

rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman) (08/16/88)

Has anyone ported elm to DOS for use with SMTP or some other link with
UNIX  (PC-NFS, etc)??

darrell@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM (08/28/88)

/* Written 12:57 am  Aug 23, 1988 by jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl in urbsdc:comp.mail.elm */
> This question brings me to another question: does Elm 2.1 already support
> SMTP? (Oh oh, what would that be nice...).

Elm is tended to be a user interface instead of a mail delivery agent,
i.e., you use elm to compose your mail and something else, such as
sendmail, to deliver it.  Sendmail handles smtp and also interfaces with
other delivery agents such as uux.

> And, I know I'm repeating and repeating and... WHEN WILL ELM 2.1 BE AVAILABLE ?

Latest word I've heard is that elm 2.1 will be officially available in
comp.sources.unix around mid-September.

--
Darrell McIntosh
Gould CSD, Urbana Software Development Center

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (08/30/88)

In article <51900009@urbsdc> darrell@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM writes:
>Elm is tended to be a user interface instead of a mail delivery agent,
>i.e., you use elm to compose your mail and something else, such as
>sendmail, to deliver it.  Sendmail handles smtp and also interfaces with
>other delivery agents such as uux.
A SMTP interface of Elm would just be a channel between User Agent and
Transport Agent, as it is done in MH.
If you want, you can see if your mail is deliverable as far as your
network can handle.

>Latest word I've heard is that elm 2.1 will be officially available in
>comp.sources.unix around mid-September.
Let's hope.

--
-- ######   Jos Vos   ######   Internet   jos@idca.tds.philips.nl   ######
-- ######             ######   UUCP         ...!mcvax!philapd!jos   ######