[comp.mail.elm] Elm wish list, non-screen mode.

Is there any hope of getting a line-oriented mode in elm, similar to
mailx but with Elm's features? Over a slow line (and 'slow' changes
hourly... once I had a direct 1200 connect and I was in heaven, now I
have a remote 2400 connect and it's too slow!) the screen mode is
uncomfortable to use due to the cost of hopping into and out of 'less'
and the consequent repaints.
--
Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"            peter@ficc.uu.net

les@chinet.UUCP (Leslie Mikesell) (10/09/88)

In article <1729@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Is there any hope of getting a line-oriented mode in elm, similar to
>mailx but with Elm's features?

I'd like to see this too, but only for the rare times that I use a
terminal without cursor addressing or am logging an entire session
to a printer or disk file from a PC terminal emulator.  If you set the
pager and editor to "builtin" and do not return to the index screen
at the end of each message (the same commands are accepted by the
builtin pager) the only extra overhead is the first and last screens.

Les Mikesell

craig@lakesys.UUCP (Craig Stodolenak) (10/12/88)

In article <1729@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Is there any hope of getting a line-oriented mode in elm, similar to
>mailx but with Elm's features? Over a slow line (and 'slow' changes

Here here!  Not only are slow lines a problem, but yes Virginia, there are
people without terminal emulation...

--
Craig L. Stodolenak  | {backbone,uunet}!marque!lakesys!craig
3454 So. Quincy Ave. | craig@lakesys.UUCP / Lake Systems, Milwaukee WI