[comp.mail.elm] Question or problem with 2.1

steve@raspail.UUCP (Steve Schonberger) (10/28/88)

I am not sure if this counts as a bug or user error, but it is a change
from something I liked about 1.7b:

Sometimes I like to edit my aliases list by hand, which I should be able
to do with a normal editor on the text version of the alias file.  But
when I do what I did with 1.7b, which is to edit the text file and rm
the other two files, it doesn't find any of the aliases.  My old trick
to get around that was to create a bogus alias (z:z:z) with elm commands,
and then the "rereading database in" would rebuild the hashed versions.

In 2.1, elm isn't doing that anymore.  I admit to have not read the new
manual, but I looked at the "changes" file and it didn't have it.  I know
I should ask my sysadmin these kinds of things, but since I am sysadmin
here that doesn't do it.  If it's in the manual, pardon me for not hunting
there.

As a temporary work-around, I'll use the old elm for aliased mail.

	Steve Schonberger
	steve@raspail.uucp	raspail!steve@shamash.cdc.com
	...!uunet!rosevax!shamash!rapail!steve

syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) (10/28/88)

In article <1000@raspail.UUCP> steve@raspail.UUCP (Steve Schonberger) writes:
>Sometimes I like to edit my aliases list by hand, which I should be able
>to do with a normal editor on the text version of the alias file.  But
>when I do what I did with 1.7b, which is to edit the text file and rm
>the other two files, it doesn't find any of the aliases.  My old trick
>to get around that was to create a bogus alias (z:z:z) with elm commands,
>and then the "rereading database in" would rebuild the hashed versions.

The command newalias is and was required to rebuild the hashed version
of the alias database.  When you created the bogus alias that
automatically runs newalias.  You don't need to do that bogus
one however.  Just run newalias from the shell.  It automatically
rebuilds the alias files in your .elm directory.  You do not
have to even remove them.

If you are in elm and use a shell escape to rebuild the aliases it
is necessary to leave elm and return to get the new aliases as elm
has already read them into memory (If it has used them already, else
it will find them when it does read it for the first time).

Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bellcore,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	FAX:   (215) 938-0235

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (10/29/88)

In article <1000@raspail.UUCP>, steve@raspail.UUCP (Steve Schonberger) wrote:
>Sometimes I like to edit my aliases list by hand, which I should be able
>to do with a normal editor on the text version of the alias file.  But
>when I do what I did with 1.7b, which is to edit the text file and rm
								------
>the other two files, it doesn't find any of the aliases.  My old trick
>to get around that was to create a bogus alias (z:z:z) with elm commands,
>and then the "rereading database in" would rebuild the hashed versions.
>
>In 2.1, elm isn't doing that anymore. ...

Instead of removing the other two files, you can run the "newalias" program
that's in the ELM package.  It will rebuild the other two files from the
text version of the alias list.

--
Samuel Lam     {alberta,watmath,uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!ubc-cs!van-bc!skl