[comp.mail.elm] Autoreply seems broke

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (11/06/88)

  I seem to be having a problem with the autoreply utility in Elm 2.1.
When I type "autoreply filename", it instantly comes back and says
it can't open the filename. It resides in the same directory with global
permissions. Anyone else tried this with 2.1 ?  I'm not much of a C-guru
so I havn't dove into the code yet.  Thanks.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net

peterm@hpdtl.HP.COM (Peter Maxwell) (11/09/88)

I have never been able to get this to work.  My arepdaemon simply starts and
stops again.  Have you made sure this is running?

The Berkeley "vacation" program does the same thing and works well.  Why not
use that?

	Peter

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (11/12/88)

In article <7230001@hpdtl.HP.COM>, peterm@hpdtl.HP.COM (Peter Maxwell) writes:
> I have never been able to get this to work.  My arepdaemon simply starts and
> stops again.  Have you made sure this is running?

      Yes, I have arepdaemon running. It never seems to "awaken" though
   and act on anything. And because of it, I never get a reply from the
   vacationing user. I did discover that Elm 2.1 apparently doesn't
   let you specify a reply-file. If you type "autoreply filename" it
   tells you it can't open the filename even if it exsists. Looking at
   the source shows it wants a file: /etc/autoreply.data. Creating this
   file solve the complaint but there is still no response from a
   vacationing user. I never had any luck getting it to work with 1.7B
   but it did allow the use of an alternate filename.

> The Berkeley "vacation" program does the same thing and works well.  Why not
> use that?

      I'm using SVR2.  (Microport)

--

torsten@pcsbst.UUCP (Torsten Homeyer) (11/14/88)

In article <668@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>      Yes, I have arepdaemon running. It never seems to "awaken" though
>   and act on anything. And because of it, I never get a reply from the
>   vacationing user. I did discover that Elm 2.1 apparently doesn't
>   let you specify a reply-file. If you type "autoreply filename" it
>   tells you it can't open the filename even if it exsists. Looking at
>   the source shows it wants a file: /etc/autoreply.data. Creating this
>   file solve the complaint but there is still no response from a
>   vacationing user. I never had any luck getting it to work with 1.7B
>   but it did allow the use of an alternate filename.

	We tried to use arep in 1.2, 1.5 an 1.7B. We never get it to work.
	It seems to have always the same bug in it:

		- parsing the headerlines to find the reply address does not
		  work. It always mails to "From: .." and our mailer dumps it
		  to the super user.

	I think that such a function should be handeld by the local mail
	delivery agent like the recently reposted lmail programm.
	It should be easy to hack such a feature in there.
	Its simpler to put a .vacation file (or something else) in your home
	directory and your local mailer will do the rest.

		Torsten.
---
Name    : Torsten Homeyer         {tho@pcsbst ; torsten@homeyer}.UUCP
Company : PCS GmbH, Munich W-Germany.
UUCP  : ..uunet!unido!pcsbst!tho     ..uunet!unido!pcsbst!sws4!torsten
PRIVAT: ..unido!{pcsbst,megalon,mikros,[altger,netmbx]!oldman}!homeyer!torsten