[comp.mail.elm] Trouble with .elm directory

steve@raspail.UUCP (Steve Schonberger) (11/29/88)

A number of users at my site have complained about errors along the lines
of "can't create .elm/options", whic turn out to go away if they create a
.elm directory in their home directory.  That is simple enough to do for
all of the accounts on the machine, and I have done it (and changed the
script I use to create accounts to do that on new accounts), but I think
it would be better behavior for the directory to be created automatically
by elm in cases where it is needed for one reason or another.  It works
some of the time automatically, but not consistently.  I haven't searched
too much for the cases where it does and doesn't create the directory, but
it seems to make it when there are already .elmrc type files around, and
not create it when there are no such files present.

	Steve Schonberger
	steve@raspail.uucp	raspail!steve@shamash.cdc.com
	...!uunet!rosevax!shamash!rapail!steve

hack@merkin.cactus.org (Greg Hackney) (11/29/88)

In article <1063@raspail.UUCP> steve@raspail.UUCP (Steve Schonberger) writes:
>A number of users at my site have complained about errors along the lines
>of "can't create .elm/options", whic turn out to go away if they create a
>.elm directory in their home directory.

The development team just made some improvements in this area, and they should
be included with Elm version 2.2 (probably 2nd qtr '89).
--
Greg