[comp.mail.elm] Problems with Elm21 PL1 and Xenix

rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) (12/14/88)

I've just recently installed the Elm 2.1 (patch level 1) mailer
on my sco xenix 2.2.1 (286) system and have noticed a couple of
problems.  I used the included "Configure" script to do the
installation.

First, the path "arepdaemon" uses to find "fastmail" is #defined
into the arepdaem.c source, but if you install the binaries
someplace else (via the makefile), arepdaemon doesn't know about
it.  This isn't a big problem, but probably should have been taken
care of by Configure.

The encryption mode doesn't seem to work correctly.  If I
place the "[encode]" and "[clear]" keywords in my message, it asks
me for the key, but then specifying the key (when prompted for it)
when reading the message fails to decrypt it.

If I then start a new message and enter the keywords for encryption,
elm doesn't ask me for a key when I send it.  When I try to read the
new message, it prompts for the key it never asked for when I sent
it, and if I use the key I specified for the *first* message, it
*does* decrypt the message???

I did all this encryption stuff while sending messages to myself,
so maybe this is causing a problem.  I wouldn't think it should
though.

One last thing, if I start up elm while on a televideo 910, i.e.
TERM=tvi910 (or any other terminal, as long as the TERM variable
is set to "tvi910"), I get "Segment Violation Signal!", and
"Emergency Exit taken!  All temp files intact!".  If I started
up with debug mode on, it just dumps core and exits (since
signal handling is turned off when in debug mode, I guess).

Anyone have any ideas on the last two?  Everthing works great as
long as I'm not using the televideo (haven't tried any other
terminals) and I don't use the encryption option (yes, I have
crypt and the crypt library installed).

Thanks,
Roger Cornelius       uunet!jc3b21!sherpa!rac
(sherpa is not in the maps yet)

steve@raspail.UUCP (Steve Schonberger) (12/17/88)

I don't know anything about the encryption problem.

In article <513@jc3b21.UUCP>, rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) writes:
> One last thing, if I start up elm while on a televideo 910, i.e.
> TERM=tvi910 (or any other terminal, as long as the TERM variable
> is set to "tvi910"), I get "Segment Violation Signal!", and
> "Emergency Exit taken!  All temp files intact!".  If I started
> up with debug mode on, it just dumps core and exits (since
> signal handling is turned off when in debug mode, I guess).

I had the same problem using "vt52" as the TERM variable.  I managed
to fix the problem by inserting bogus "so" and "se" entries into my
termcap file under my vt52 entry (actually, I made a new entry, as a
work-around to a problem with my terminal emulation program).  I think
that the "tvi910" entry probably lacks "so" and "se" also, though I
don't have them in my termcap file at all.  I used ":so={:se=}:", but
you might like ":so=:se=:" better because it doesn't mess up what
columns things come out in.  I wanted to see what was supposed to be
between "standout" and "standout end" so I did it my way.

> Roger Cornelius       uunet!jc3b21!sherpa!rac

Good luck.

	Steve Schonberger
	steve@raspail.uucp	raspail!steve@shamash.cdc.com
	...!uunet!rosevax!shamash!rapail!steve