[comp.mail.elm] Problem with Elm2.1 corrupting mailbox

tran@versatc.UUCP (Tony Tran) (12/16/88)

  While running Elm2.1 PL1, I occassionally ran into an error message
  indicating my mailbox was corrupt, and elm program bombed out because
  it could not read incoming mail messages.

  Does anybody experience the same problem?

  Tony Tran
  Versatec Corp.
  {ames|sun|pyramid|leadsv}!versatc!tran

kpratte@hawk.ulowell.edu (Ken Pratte) (12/19/88)

In article <7701@versatc.UUCP> tran@versatc.UUCP (Tony Tran) writes:

>  While running Elm2.1 PL1, I occassionally ran into an error message
>  indicating my mailbox was corrupt, and elm program bombed out because
>  it could not read incoming mail messages.
>
>  Does anybody experience the same problem?

   I have had this error many times.. What happened is that some of the header
that elm uses isn't there after you had edited it.  You must then  go back and
re-edit your mailbox, or just junk the message that is corrupt, but either way
you are going to have to edit it.

   The most common one that occurs is on the From line:
From kpratte@hawk.ulowell.edu Wed Oct 26 11:05:07 1988
From: kpratte@hawk.ulowell.edu (Ken Pratte)
To: kpratte@hawk.ulowell.edu
Subject: Hi Ken.....
  If by chance you removed 'From' or the day  time of date,  then elm will say
that  your  mail is corrupt.  The date doesn't have  to be correct, just  that
there has to be one, and the same goes for the rest  of the header.. The worst
thing that could  have happened is that you  read your mail with  Rmail. Rmail
will cut off the 'From' line for you that elm uses. If that  happened then you
either have  to edit it back  in,  or have Emacs convert   letter by letter of
Rmail to Unix mail..
--
                                   #     #
                                    #   #