[comp.mail.elm] Escaping special chars

rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (12/26/88)

In article <179@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>    What is the proper procedure for sending mail using the user@host
> syntax and Elm 2.1 ?  WHen entering the information on the "To:"
> line I can't seem to delimit the "@" sign. It keeps clearing the
> current line evening though I am preceeding it with the "backslash".
> This of course works fine for sending user@host stuff on mail & mailx.
> Thanks.

The routines that solicit user input have just been changed in ELM 2.2
to allow backslash to cause a literal interpretation of characters
that would otherwise have special meaning, i.e. your backspace and
linekill characters (if they are printing characters).

I'm sorry for this situatation where many of you are having difficulties
with ELM 2.1 but we really only have time to fix them in ELM 2.2.
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM