[comp.mail.elm] getopt

ejp@ausmelb.oz (Esmond Pitt) (01/06/89)

Would the developers of ELM 2.2 please finally correct the ridiculous
situation, which has been there since ELM 1.5, whereby the ELM source
contains no fewer than 4 versions of getopt():

	filter/utils2.c:getopt(argc, argv, options)
	src/getopt.c:get_options(argc, argv, options)
	utils/fastmail.c:get_options(argc, argv, options)
	utils/getopt.c:getopt(argc, argv, opts)

where there should be at most one, with the name 'getopt()'?  More
generally, there should be a 'lib' directory containing replacements
for _all_ possibly missing libc.a stuff.

Many thanks.

--
Esmond Pitt, Austec (Asia/Pacific) Ltd
...!uunet.UU.NET!munnari!ausmelb!ejp,ejp@ausmelb.oz

syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) (01/07/89)

In article <830@ausmelb.oz> ejp@ausmelb.oz (Esmond Pitt) writes:
>Would the developers of ELM 2.2 please finally correct the ridiculous
>situation, which has been there since ELM 1.5, whereby the ELM source
>contains no fewer than 4 versions of getopt():

We long ago handled that one, but we did not make a new directory,
but a file that contains all optional routines.  That file is used
by all existing directories.  However, it is a much larger job to
catch all other occurrances of where similar named routines do similar
jobs slightly differently, but that also is on our list and we slowly
tackle it.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bellcore,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	FAX:   (215) 938-0235