[comp.mail.elm] Multiply-defined alias

tran@versatc.UUCP (Tony Tran) (01/10/89)

How does one create a mailing list under elm2.1. such as:

r_d	=  R & D Group	= hostname!user1, hostname!user2

I create an alias called r_d which consists of 2 users in
$HOME/.elm/aliases.text, run newalias, and everytime I send
mail to this alias, elm bombed out with the following message:

 get_token calls nested greater than 20 deep!
 Emergency Exit taken!  All temp files intact!

Did I do something wrong ?

Tony Tran
PS I am running Elm2.1 PL1 on a SUN 3 running 3.4 OS with smail 2.5

--
UUCP: {sun|ames|pyramid|vsi1|leadsv}!versatc!tran  	Tony Tran
Versatec, 2805 Bowers Avenue, Santa Clara, Calif 95051 (408)982-4317

ayf@cbnews.ATT.COM (avi.y.feldblum) (01/10/89)

In article <11151@versatc.UUCP> tran@versatc.UUCP (Tony Tran) writes:

>r_d	=  R & D Group	= hostname!user1, hostname!user2

Read the Alias Users Guide :-) (Really, it is quite well explained
there). Section two describes group aliases. The format is:

	aliasname list = groupname = list of people

wher the "lst of people" is in the same foat as the aliasname
list. So for your example you would want:

joe = Joe's name = hostname!user1
jane = Jane's name = hostname!user2
r_d = R & D Group = joe, jane

Avi Feldblum
ayf@pruxe.att.com

monts%quicksilver@Sun.COM (Mike Monts) (01/10/89)

In article <11151@versatc.UUCP> tran@versatc.UUCP (Tony Tran) writes:

>How does one create a mailing list under elm2.1. such as:
>
>r_d	=  R & D Group	= hostname!user1, hostname!user2
>
>Tony Tran
>UUCP: {sun|ames|pyramid|vsi1|leadsv}!versatc!tran  	Tony Tran
>Versatec, 2805 Bowers Avenue, Santa Clara, Calif 95051 (408)982-4317

Tony,

You first have to create individual aliases for each person, and then
create the line for the mailing list. i.e.

jim	= Jim Smith	= Jim@fubar
joe	= Joe Smith	= joe@barfu

syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) (01/10/89)

In article <11151@versatc.UUCP> tran@versatc.UUCP (Tony Tran) writes:

>How does one create a mailing list under elm2.1. such as:
>
>r_d	=  R & D Group	= hostname!user1, hostname!user2
>
>I create an alias called r_d which consists of 2 users in
>$HOME/.elm/aliases.text, run newalias, and everytime I send
>mail to this alias, elm bombed out.  Did I do something wrong ?

Yes you did, to paraphrase the Elm Alias Guide, a mailing list
must only consist of local names or prior elm aliases.  What
you did was to put unexpanded names into the mailing list.

The proper way is to state:

u_1 = User 1 Alias = hostname !user1
u_2 = User 2 Alias = hostname !user2

r_d = R & D Group = u_1, u_2

But even this needs a warning.  Berkley mail specs can cause ELm to
expand the & in R & D group to the capitalized login in name of the
user.  Either turn off that feature in the code, or don't use &'s.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	                FAX:   (215) 938-0235