[comp.mail.elm] Elm 2.1 and Smail 2.5

obg@nada.kth.se (Olof Backing) (01/14/89)

I have just compiled succesfully Elm 2.1. It runs nice and smooth. Now
to the minor problem. I'm using it with Smail 2.5. Smail makes a
From_line that has 'remote from <host>' at the end of that line.
Obviously does that make Elm not to recognize the beginning of a new
mail and there for Elm says that I have 1 new mail no matter how many
new mails there might be.
So I wounder if you I'm about to blaim - Elm or Smail? You better tell
me, because I can patch one of them but I don't feel that's the
correct way of handeling the problem. So what do you suggest me to do?

--
WHOAMI: Olof Backing                                 EMAIL:
WHERE:  Royal Institute Of Technology, Stockholm     obg@nada.kth.se

hack@merkin.cactus.org (Greg Hackney) (01/16/89)

In article <744@draken.nada.kth.se> obg@nada.kth.se (Olof Backing) writes:
>From_line that has 'remote from <host>' at the end of that line.
>Obviously does that make Elm not to recognize the beginning of a new
>mail and there for Elm says that I have 1 new mail no matter how many
>new mails there might be.
>So I wounder if you I'm about to blaim - Elm or Smail?

You might try changing the "USE_EMBEDDED_ADDRESSES" definition in
Elm's config.h program.

Also, it would be of help if you posted a sample of your mail file
so we can see what the headers look like.
--
Greg

obg@nada.kth.se (Olof Backing) (01/16/89)

In article <570@merkin.cactus.org> hack@merkin.cactus.org (Greg Hackney) writes:
>Also, it would be of help if you posted a sample of your mail file
>so we can see what the headers look like.
>--
>Greg

And here it comes! It looks like this:

From obg  Mon Jan 16 15:56:22 1989 remote from jakelt
Date: 16 Jan 89 15:56:22 MDT (Mon)
From: obg@jakelt.se (Olof Backing)
To: obg@nada.kth.se

What do you say? Isn't this a correct header?

--
WHOAMI: Olof Backing                                 EMAIL:
WHERE:  Royal Institute Of Technology, Stockholm     obg@nada.kth.se
SNAIL:  Havrevagen 14, S-175 43 Jarfalla, Sweden
VOICE:  + 46 758 355 16

obg@nada.kth.se (Olof Backing) (01/17/89)

As Greg says:
>You might try changing the "USE_EMBEDDED_ADDRESSES" definition in
>Elm's config.h program.

I have tried to turn that thing off, but that doesn't solve the
problem. I do still get '0 read mail' or whatever it says at startup.
Although it counts every From:-line in the mail except for the first
one after the line with 'From obg ..... remote from <host>'.