[comp.mail.elm] Using ELM to store news

todd@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) (01/15/89)

I've found elm to be very handy for filing away news articles that
I want to save.  I use RN, so from the article reading level, I
type

|rmail todd&

This will mail the message to me with the header attatched, so ELM
thinks that the message was actually mailed to me.  So, in ELM, I
see who wrote the article, when it was written, and the subject.
After each RN session, I boot ELM and file each message in an
appropriate subject mailbox.  This is much better than simply saving
each message from RN and having it appended to a huge file.  It is
much easier to retrieve articles this way.

Hope you can use this trick.  I'm not sure how restricted RMAIL will
be on your particular machine.

Todd Day  |  ..!apple!comdesign!ivucsb!todd  |  todd@ivucsb.UUCP

rsk@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Rich Kulawiec) (01/15/89)

In article <471@ivucsb.UUCP> todd@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) writes:
>I've found elm to be very handy for filing away news articles that
>I want to save.  I use RN, so from the article reading level, I type
>(etc.)

It is possible to do all the items described in this article (and more)
directly from rn, without going through the indirect steps of mailing
each article and then running elm.  Check the rn manual page, which
describes (among other things) how to save articles (1) to a single
file (2) to a single file per newsgroup (3) to arbitrarily named files
and (4) by additional methods.  Using rn's internal macros, it's possible
to do some very sophistcated archiving.

---Rsk

aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) (01/15/89)

In <471@ivucsb.UUCP>, <todd@ivucsb.UUCP> wrote:
>I've found elm to be very handy for filing away news articles that
>I want to save.  I use RN, so from the article reading level, I
>type

>|rmail todd&

>This will mail the message to me with the header attatched, so ELM
>thinks that the message was actually mailed to me.  So, in ELM, I
>see who wrote the article, when it was written, and the subject.
>After each RN session, I boot ELM and file each message in an
>appropriate subject mailbox.  This is much better than simply saving
>each message from RN and having it appended to a huge file.  It is
>much easier to retrieve articles this way.

If you're using 'rn', then you don't have to deal with messages being
appended into a single large file. By setting the options as appropriate
(off hand, I think '-/') it'll save messages in ~News/comp/mail/elm/474
for example. Then your messages will be filed by newsgroup in individual
files.

aem

a.e.mossberg  -  aem@mthvax.miami.edu  -  MIAVAX::AEM (Span)  -  aem@umiami.BITNET
Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.  		- John Adams

news@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) (01/15/89)

In article <1491@mace.cc.purdue.edu> rsk@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Rich Kulawiec) writes:
~In article <471@ivucsb.UUCP> todd@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) writes:
~>I've found elm to be very handy for filing away news articles that
~>I want to save.  I use RN, so from the article reading level, I type
~>(etc.)
~It is possible to do all the items described in this article (and more)
~directly from rn, without going through the indirect steps of mailing
~each article and then running elm.

Yes, I knew this, but
(1)	I was too lazy to write any macros.
(2)	I like the way ELM keeps all related stuff in one file, but
	allows me to index it conveniently.

I would like to see any examples of RN macros people have built to
save relevant news articles.

In article <1261@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> aem@Mthvax.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
~If you're using 'rn', then you don't have to deal with messages being
~appended into a single large file. By setting the options as appropriate
~(off hand, I think '-/') it'll save messages in ~News/comp/mail/elm/474

But ELM allows you to quickly retrieve the subject you want, without
having to remember that the file was message 474.

Todd Day  |  ..!apple!comdesign!ivucsb!todd  |  todd@ivucsb.UUCP

rsk@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Rich Kulawiec) (01/16/89)

In article <474@ivucsb.UUCP> news@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) writes:
>Yes, I knew this, but
>(1)	I was too lazy to write any macros.
>(2)	I like the way ELM keeps all related stuff in one file...

Let me try to make the same point more clearly; all of this is possible
from rn *without* writing any macros.  Please read the manual page for
rn very carefully and completely.

---Rsk

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/17/89)

In article <471@ivucsb.UUCP> todd@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) writes:
+----------------
|I've found elm to be very handy for filing away news articles that
|I want to save.  I use RN, so from the article reading level, I
|type
|
||rmail todd&
|
|This will mail the message to me with the header attatched, so ELM
|thinks that the message was actually mailed to me.  So, in ELM, I
|see who wrote the article, when it was written, and the subject.
|After each RN session, I boot ELM and file each message in an
|appropriate subject mailbox.  This is much better than simply saving
|each message from RN and having it appended to a huge file.  It is
|much easier to retrieve articles this way.
|[...]
|Todd Day  |  ..!apple!comdesign!ivucsb!todd  |  todd@ivucsb.UUCP
+----------------

There's no need to type so much in 'rn' - jusr use "s", and then
when you want to retrieve it later say:

	elm -f ~/News/Comp.mail/elm

and let 'elm' do the work you want...

Cheers,
--
   _  _/\	Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
   \`o O|	Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

news@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) (01/20/89)

In article <212@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
~There's no need to type so much in 'rn' - jusr use "s", and then
~when you want to retrieve it later say:
~
~	elm -f ~/News/Comp.mail/elm
~
~and let 'elm' do the work you want...

The reason I don't do this is I often get mail on the same subjects
that are in news, and I want to keep them all filed together.  Also,
I sometimes like to move stuff from news into different subject
headings...  I like your idea, though, and it will help me to
"undigestify" some of the stuff I saved from USENET before I got
ELM...

Todd Day  |  ..!apple!comdesign!ivucsb!todd  |  todd@ivucsb.UUCP