[comp.mail.elm] Lock file 'problem' between ELM and mailx

rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (01/28/89)

Just ran into an interesting situation at one site where ELM has just
been installed.

The default configuration of ELM has it check 6 times for a lock on
mail spool files (i.e. /usr/mail/*) and then giving up (rather than
assuming the lock is defunct and removing it). One site that just
installed ELM, had the following line in the /etc/profile:

		mailx -e

to inform a user who is logging in whether s/he has mail. Unfortunately
'mailx -e' leaves a mail lock file lying around for the user, and since
ELM (in the defualt configuration) won't remove the lock, ELM would
report the file locked and give up.

They never noticed the problem before, because they were using mailx,
and mailx would remove the lock file after the requisite number of tries.

Two possible solutions. Don't use mailx -e, but rather mail -e, or
configure ELM to remove the lock file after the requisite number of
tries. I recommend the former and not the latter.
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

david@pacbell.PacBell.COM (David St.Pierre) (01/30/89)

In article <4602@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) writes:

[mailx -e bug noticed]

>They never noticed the problem before, because they were using mailx,
>and mailx would remove the lock file after the requisite number of tries.

/bin/mail also removes it if the contents are non-numeric or (numeric and
the process no longer exists). We have experienced problems with mail .lock
files hanging around and preventing people from logging in again. If some
mail programs put a numeric like "1" in the lockfile, that would cause a lot
of problems.

>Two possible solutions. Don't use mailx -e, but rather mail -e, or
>configure ELM to remove the lock file after the requisite number of
>tries. I recommend the former and not the latter.

We should have mailx fixed on the 3b20s by Monday (the problem is in
setfile()) but other systems should heed Rob's recommendation - the
mailx -e option is broken in SV_R3.0.

--
David St. Pierre 415/823-6800 {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!david