[comp.mail.elm] mkdir ~/.elm required

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (01/25/89)

Some of my users are encountering a hurdle when they try to do an
operation that requires that a file on the ~/.elm directory be opened.
If the directory does not exist, they get an error message.  I have been
telling them to 'mkdir ~/.elm' on a case-by-case basis, but it sure
would be nice if elm would automatically make this directory when
needed.  -David-

--
Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics

rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (01/26/89)

In article <286@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
+Some of my users are encountering a hurdle when they try to do an
+operation that requires that a file on the ~/.elm directory be opened.
+If the directory does not exist, they get an error message.  I have been
+telling them to 'mkdir ~/.elm' on a case-by-case basis, but it sure
+would be nice if elm would automatically make this directory when
+needed.  -David-

ELM 2.2 will take care of this.
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

hack@merkin.cactus.org (Greg Hackney) (01/26/89)

In article <286@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
>Some of my users are encountering a hurdle when they try to do an
>operation that requires that a file on the ~/.elm directory be opened.
>If the directory does not exist, they get an error message.  I have been
>telling them to 'mkdir ~/.elm' on a case-by-case basis, but it sure
>would be nice if elm would automatically make this directory when
>needed.  -David-

This is an Elm 2.2 feature coming soon to a computer near you.
--
Greg

gertjan@atcmpe.UUCP (Gertjan Vinkesteyn) (01/30/89)

In article <286@wubios.wustl.edu>, david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
> Some of my users are encountering a hurdle when they try to do an
> operation that requires that a file on the ~/.elm directory be opened.
> If the directory does not exist, they get an error message.  I have been
> telling them to 'mkdir ~/.elm' on a case-by-case basis, but it sure
> would be nice if elm would automatically make this directory when
> needed.  -David-

Line 74 till 84 in the file src/utils.c read:
	/** Some systems don't have a mkdir call - how inconvienient! **/

	#ifdef NOMKDIR
		sprintf(com, "mkdir %s/.elm", home);
		system_call(com, SH);
		sprintf(com, "chmod 700 %s/.elm", home);
		system_call(com, SH);
	#else
		sprintf(source, "%s/.elm", home);
		(void) mkdir(source, 0700);
	#endif NOMKDIR

that means to me that it always should work correctly
so what is wrong with your configuration might be that you have the setuid
bit set for user as well as the setgid bit for group. Do a
	chmod 2755 /usr/local/bin/elm
to set the setgid bit only (in most cases to a group called 'mail')
--
UUCP and other network	  )\/(	..!hp4nl!kunivv1!atcmpe!gertjan
  connections via mcvax	  )/\(	gertjan@atcmp.nl (internet)