[comp.mail.elm] script-invoked editor

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (01/30/89)

I have been trying to invoke an editor from elm via a script.  It seems
to work if it is a sh script, but not a csh script.  I do not
understand sh as well as I do csh, and it seems less capable, so it
would be nice if this situation could be rectified.
-David-
--
Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics

rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (01/31/89)

In article <292@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
+I have been trying to invoke an editor from elm via a script.  It seems
+to work if it is a sh script, but not a csh script.  I do not
+understand sh as well as I do csh, and it seems less capable, so it
+would be nice if this situation could be rectified.

ELM uses the *standard* library function system(3) to invoke the editor
you've specified in your elmrc (or the default editor as configured).
That means that your editor is interpreted as a Bourne shell command line
less the name of the file which to edit. That's why your csh script doesn't
work.

You should be able to specify your editor as "csh -c [name of csh script]".
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

jonathan@turing.ac.uk (Jonathan Shapiro) (02/03/89)

In article <292@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
>I have been trying to invoke an editor from elm via a script.  It seems
>to work if it is a sh script, but not a csh script.  I do not
>understand sh as well as I do csh, and it seems less capable, so it
>would be nice if this situation could be rectified.
>-David-

The main reason for applications being written to
work with 'sh' is that it is guaranteed to exist on *all*
unix machines. There is no such guarantee with 'csh'.

--jonathan