[comp.mail.elm] Zero length messages

horton@ingr.com (Mac Horton) (01/25/89)

	A couple of weeks ago I posted a query about messages
disappearing with Elm 2.1.  Since then I have discovered there are at
least two different phenomena: mail getting sent which has a header but
no body, and mail arriving intact but being reported as zero length by
Elm.  For the moment I am ignoring the first one, as I have found it
produced at least once by user error: using ^X^R in Emacs to read in a
file which causes the output file name to be changed, so that Elm's temp
file is never updated.

	The second manifestation is a real problem.  A zero-length
message appears on the menu.  Attempting to read it gets only a "Message
from..." line.  However, if you dump the mail file the message is there.
If you "quit" out of Elm and get back in, the message has either
disappeared completely or shows up intact.

	I suspect it only happens when mail arrives while you're already
in Elm, but have not verified this yet.  Anyone else seen it?  Elm 2.1
is getting a very bad name around here, and I don't have time to delve
deeply enough into this to track it down.

--
Mac Horton 		|  She's making me a pair of shoes
mac!horton@INGR.COM	|  	so I can run away.

rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (01/26/89)

In article <3650@ingr.com> horton@ingr.UUCP (Mac Horton) writes:
+	The second manifestation is a real problem.  A zero-length
+message appears on the menu.  Attempting to read it gets only a "Message
+from..." line.  However, if you dump the mail file the message is there.
+If you "quit" out of Elm and get back in, the message has either
+disappeared completely or shows up intact.

If something like this mysterious happens, DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT leave
ELM by the 'q' command. Leave instead by the 'x' command which will not
update your mail file.  You do not want ELM to update your mail file
if it is confused about what is in it.

+	I suspect it only happens when mail arrives while you're already
+in Elm, but have not verified this yet.  Anyone else seen it?

If I remember correctly, there were some problems  about this that were
fixed early on in the version of ELM currently under development, ELM 2.2.
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

prc@maxim.ERBE.SE (Robert Claeson) (01/27/89)

In article <3650@ingr.com>, horton@ingr.com (Mac Horton) writes:

> 	A couple of weeks ago I posted a query about messages
> disappearing with Elm 2.1.  Since then I have discovered there are at
> least two different phenomena: mail getting sent which has a header but
> no body, and mail arriving intact but being reported as zero length by
> Elm.

Add one more: two or more messages sometimes get stashed together and are
reported as one message by ELM.
--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden
"No problems." -- Alf

horton@ingr.com (Mac Horton) (02/04/89)

In article <4586@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>In article <3650@ingr.com> horton@ingr.UUCP (Mac Horton) writes:
>+	The second manifestation is a real problem.  A zero-length
>+message appears on the menu....

	...etc.

>If I remember correctly, there were some problems  about this that were
>fixed early on in the version of ELM currently under development, ELM 2.2.

	Even better, it's fixed in 2.1 PL1, which we now have installed.
Thanks, Rob.