[comp.mail.elm] Escaping '@' in Elm won't work on my UNIX-PC

bob@cmpfen.UUCP (Bob Breum) (02/02/89)

Now that I finally got my UNIX-PC upgraded to the 3.5 system software which
supports flexnames, I have installed elm 2.1.  But when I attempt to compose
outgoing mail, I run into a problem at the To: prompt.  I want to enter

    To: user@foobar

but it insists on interpreting the '@' as a line kill character, even though
I have escaped it with a backslash.  Can anyone help me with this?

--
Computer Fenestrations						      Bob Breum
Post Office Box 151		{uiucuxc|hoptoad|petsd|ucf-cs}!peora!cmpfen!bob

rick@kimbal.UUCP (Rick Kimball) (02/02/89)

From article <173@cmpfen.UUCP>, by bob@cmpfen.UUCP (Bob Breum):
> but it insists on interpreting the '@' as a line kill character, even though
> I have escaped it with a backslash.  Can anyone help me with this?

Just set your line kill character to something other than
the '@' character before you start ELM.  I like to use ^U
... makes feel like I using a Sun 3/50 :->.

	$ stty kill ^U

Rick Kimball | ANONYMOUS UUCP in: anon rd: doruroo       DATA (407) 862-6214
             | $ uucp kimbal!~anon/howto.snag !~/       VOICE (407) 788-6875
UUCP: ...!ucf-cs!sdgsun!kimbal!rick ...!rtmvax!kimbal!rick  rick@kimbal

obg@nada.kth.se (Olof Backing) (02/03/89)

I sure do hope that you have changed your own line kill character with
stty to something else that the old standard(?) character @. Otherwise
could you have found a bug, but I would check your line kill character
first if I were you.

--
WHOAMI: Olof Backing                                 EMAIL:
WHERE:  Royal Institute Of Technology, Stockholm     obg@nada.kth.se

syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) (02/05/89)

In article <173@cmpfen.UUCP> bob@cmpfen.UUCP (Bob Breum) writes:
:Now that I finally got my UNIX-PC upgraded to the 3.5 system software which
:supports flexnames, I have installed elm 2.1.  But when I attempt to compose
:outgoing mail, I run into a problem at the To: prompt.  I want to enter
:
:    To: user@foobar
:
:but it insists on interpreting the '@' as a line kill character, even though
:I have escaped it with a backslash.  Can anyone help me with this?

This is one of the things that is changed in 2.2, but until 2.2 is released
the only work around is to use a different line kill character.

May I suggest control/u, as alot of systems use that by default
anyway.

Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	                FAX:   (215) 938-0235