[comp.mail.elm] elm next command effect

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (02/02/89)

When I use the 'n' command from the menu, I want it to read the Next
message, not the current one.
-David-
--
Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics

ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Brad Allen) (02/03/89)

> When I use the 'n' command from the menu, I want it to read the Next
> message, not the current one.

I agree.  One of the things I never liked about Mail is its tendency to
move my . pointer around without my permission.  As a result, I have often
had friends ask me "why did you type the whole number out?", with my
answer being "uhh, so I don't delete anything important" as has happened
often.

I would prefer to see the same tendency in elm; the cursor would only move
if one specifically told it to.  However, I have not used elm to any extent,
so I wouldn't know the advantages one way or the other ...
It seems intuitive enough to have Next search for the next message,
complain if it can't find any more (you're at the end), and otherwise print
the message ... now I see the problem.  The idea is to press return
a lot and get the result of reading all your mail.  Perhaps this isn't
such an all-so wonderful feature ...  Let me regress and just say that
I don't know what to suggest; this is food for any thought you might have ...

another dumb mumbling from
brad allen <ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu>

aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) (02/04/89)

# emulate the mailx message increment mode (only increment after something
# has been 'done' to a message, either saved or deleted, as opposed to
# simply each time something is touched)
resolve = ON

Isn't this what you're interested in?

aem
a.e.mossberg aem@mthvax.miami.edu MIAVAX::AEM (Span) aem@umiami.BITNET (soon)
He that complains, acts like a man, like a social being. - Samuel Johnson

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (02/05/89)

In article <1354@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> aem@Mthvax.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
:
:# emulate the mailx message increment mode (only increment after something
:# has been 'done' to a message, either saved or deleted, as opposed to
:# simply each time something is touched)
:resolve = ON
:
:
:Isn't this what you're interested in?