[comp.mail.elm] elm "anonymous" problem

dfm@sagepub.UUCP (David F. McCune) (02/14/89)

I recently grabbed a copy of Elm (2.1, PL1) from a BBS.  I'm
running Xenix 2.3.1.  When I send a new mail message, the
"From" field in the message header is filled in with
"anonymous."  Anyone know what causes this?  Is there a
newer version of elm I should be using?  Thanks much!

-- David

     David McCune                  ...csun!srhqla!sagepub!dfm
     Sage Publications, Inc.
     2111 West Hillcrest Drive     Voice: (805) 499-0721
     Newbury Park, CA 91320

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (02/16/89)

In article <266@sagepub.UUCP> dfm@sagepub.UUCP (David F. McCune) writes:
>I recently grabbed a copy of Elm (2.1, PL1) from a BBS.  I'm
>running Xenix 2.3.1.  When I send a new mail message, the
>"From" field in the message header is filled in with
>"anonymous."  Anyone know what causes this?  Is there a
>newer version of elm I should be using?  Thanks much!

Check your passwd file.  Elm fills in the From field with the comment
field from the passwd line.  If there is nothing there it will put
anonymous instead.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon