[net.news.group] Lets start world.politics

seifert@ihuxl.UUCP (D.A. Seifert) (06/22/84)

whatever happened to the concept of seperating the distribution
from the subject?

Many times one has the choice between bothering net.foo about
a local event, or bothering local.general with a subject that
has a 'net' group, but not a 'local' one.  (I usually choose
to bother local.general since fewer people that don't want to
see it are bothered, and it keeps the costs down.)

--
	_____
       /_____\	   	 Ever try to autocross a Sopwith Camel?

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (06/24/84)

>Many times one has the choice between bothering net.foo about
>a local event, or bothering local.general with a subject that
>has a 'net' group, but not a 'local' one.  (I usually choose
>to bother local.general since fewer people that don't want to
>see it are bothered, and it keeps the costs down.)

This is exactly the situation that Distribution was created for.
The correct thing to do is
	Subject: Anybody know of a place to get a foo in town?
	Newsgroups: net.foo
This restricts the message to only go within "foo" but to appear
in newgroup "net.foo" on the local machines.