[comp.mail.elm] Outgoing mail save to the wrong place

skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) (02/20/89)

I'm not sure if anyone's aware of this bug...if it's well known, please
accept my apologies for cluttering the net.

I've set elm to keep a copy of all my outgoing mail in a file/folder in
the folder directory.  If I'm in another folder in the folder directory
and send mail, instead of putting the outgoing message in my outgoing
mail file, it puts it in the folder that I'm in.

Is there a fix for this?  Do I have my elmrc wrong?

Rich Skrenta
--
skrenta@gamma.eecs.nwu.edu

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (02/20/89)

In article <6730002@eecs.nwu.edu>, skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) writes:
> I've set elm to keep a copy of all my outgoing mail in a file/folder in
> the folder directory.  If I'm in another folder in the folder directory
> and send mail, instead of putting the outgoing message in my outgoing
> mail file, it puts it in the folder that I'm in.
>
> Is there a fix for this?  Do I have my elmrc wrong?

This may be related to the "savename" setting in elmrc.  If savename is turned
on, then incoming and outgoing mail will be saved in folders according to
the sender's or recipient's name, respectively.  (I have a 2.2 version, so
it this is a 2.2 only feature, please disregard.)  Thus, while in a folder,
if you mail to the person that the folder belongs to, the outgoing copy
will appear in that folder.  If there is no folder for an address already,
outgoing mail goes into your outgoing file (that's would explain why you
see two different behaviors).

Would it be possible to modify the savename parameter to be two separate
parameters?  E.g.  savenameout and savenamein?

Setting "savenameout = ON" would cause outgoing mail to be saved in folders
according to an address, setting to OFF, would cause it to all go in a
single file (which is what I, personally, prefer).

Setting "savenamein = ON" would create the default "=sender" when using the
s)ave command (which I really like, since I prefer to store incoming mail
in separate files).

-------------
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences Corporation		615/821-4022 x. 651

*** Altos users unite! mail to "info-altos-request@tiamat.fsc.com" ***

rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (02/21/89)

In article <6730002@eecs.nwu.edu> skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) writes:
+I've set elm to keep a copy of all my outgoing mail in a file/folder in
+the folder directory.  If I'm in another folder in the folder directory
+and send mail, instead of putting the outgoing message in my outgoing
+mail file, it puts it in the folder that I'm in.

There are two elmrc options that govern the saving of a copy of outgoing
messages. If "copy" is ON, a copy is saved. If "savename" is ON, a copy
is saved to a file in your folder directory based on the logname of the
first recipient *if the file exists*, otherwise to the "savemail" file.
If "savename" is OFF, the copy is unconditionally saved to the "savemail"
file.

Now, you are comparing two situations, and I bet they are different
in *two* respects, not one. I'd be willing to bet that when you are in
your default mail file and send a message, there is no folder for the
recipient and it gets saved to the "savefile". But when you are in
a particular save folder, you are replying to sending a message to
the person the correspondence with whom is contained in that folder.
And so when the message is saved, the folder with the logname exists
and it is saved there and not in "savemail".

If you don't want this to happen, set "savename" OFF in your elmrc.
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM