[comp.mail.elm] newalias problem under root

dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) (02/22/89)

I am running Elm 2.1, and when trying to run newalias under root,
and answer yes to update the system alias, I get the following:

Bad alias name: jeff:jeffatswusrgrp:swusrgrp!jeff. Too long.

This is what me .alias_text file looks like:

jeff : jeff at swusrgrp : swusrgrp!jeff

Any ideas?

syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) (02/23/89)

In article <198017@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:
>This is what me .alias_text file looks like:
>
>jeff : jeff at swusrgrp : swusrgrp!jeff
And what you need to do is use ='s.  The document in 2.1 was out
of step with the program.  One of the changes in 2.1 is to use ='s
for the alias seperators, as : is a valid name character in some
mail systems.

Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	                FAX:   (215) 938-0235

gertjan@atcmp.nl (Gertjan Vinkesteyn) (02/23/89)

s/:/=/g
--
UUCP and other network	  )\/(	..!hp4nl!kunivv1!atcmpe!gertjan
  connections via mcvax	  )/\(	gertjan@atcmp.nl (internet)

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (02/24/89)

In article <198017@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:
:>
:>I am running Elm 2.1, and when trying to run newalias under root,
:>and answer yes to update the system alias, I get the following:
:>
:>Bad alias name: jeff:jeffatswusrgrp:swusrgrp!jeff. Too long.
:>
:>
:>This is what me .alias_text file looks like:
:>
:>jeff : jeff at swusrgrp : swusrgrp!jeff
:>
:>
:>Any ideas?

You need to use '=' characters instead of ':' characters as delimeters
in your aliases.text file.  -David-
--
Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics