[comp.mail.elm] ELM: Want to remove mail file when done: How?

wnp@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (03/11/89)

In article <390@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (Lemmy Caution) writes:
+ AT&T 3b1, 3.0 OS.
+ The window manager of a 3b1 puts a mail icon at the top of the screen
+ if mail exists for the user.  "Mail" is defined as a non-zero length
+ file existing as /usr/mail/username.
+ To get rid of the icon, the mail file has to dissappear -- not just become
+ zero lenght.  (You can also hit keystrokes to get rid of the icon, but the
+ idea is that after you read your mail, the icon goes away...)

1. The mail icon is put up by smgr, not wmgr;

2. On my 3b1 system (3.5 with the improved wmgr from THE STORE), the icon DOES
   disappear a couple of seconds after ELM terminates, even though the
   mail file is only zeroed, not deleted.
   Does anyone know definitively if 3.5 and 3.51 are different in this regard,
   or where this is defined/explained in the manuals?
UUCP:   killer!wnp                    ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN: wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us       TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (03/12/89)

>+ AT&T 3b1, 3.0 OS.
>+ To get rid of the icon, the mail file has to dissappear -- not just become
>+ zero lenght.

>2. On my 3b1 system (3.5 with the improved wmgr from THE STORE), the icon DOES
>   disappear a couple of seconds after ELM terminates, even though the
>   mail file is only zeroed, not deleted.

>   Does anyone know definitively if 3.5 and 3.51 are different in this regard,
>   or where this is defined/explained in the manuals?

3.5 and 3.51 both delete the mail icon when the mail file either gets
deleted or goes to zero length.

--
       Robert J. Granvin           "Mueslix: A natural blend of oats, barley,
 National Information Services      octopi, Toyotas, cement and small furry

ralph@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Ralph Allas Jr) (03/14/89)

In article <1252@sialis.mn.org> rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
>>+ AT&T 3b1, 3.0 OS.
>>+ To get rid of the icon, the mail file has to dissappear -- not just become
>>+ zero lenght.
>
>>2. On my 3b1 system (3.5 with the improved wmgr from THE STORE), the icon DOES
>>   disappear a couple of seconds after ELM terminates, even though the
>>   mail file is only zeroed, not deleted.
>
>>   Does anyone know definitively if 3.5 and 3.51 are different in this regard,
>>   or where this is defined/explained in the manuals?
>
>3.5 and 3.51 both delete the mail icon when the mail file either gets
>deleted or goes to zero length.

	I recently installed Elm on my 7300, which I'll get back to later,
and I find that it does not delete the /usr/mail/username file, rather it
just empties the file giving it zero bytes...  I earlier installed a program
called Mailcall which gives me a window at the console, only if no one is
logged on there, telling me who has mail.
	Apparently Mailcall looks for the presence of a file rather than
a file larger than zero bytes.  Has anyone else had this problem, and fixed
it?  If so, I'd like to know what you done to do so.  I'm sure I could fix
the problem if I put my mind to it, but I don't want to have to re-invent
the wheel, as another user clearly stated.

	Back to the horror story of Elm and the 7300...  After patiently
awaiting my first attempt to install Elm, a 13 hour ordeal, I found that
when entering vi to create a letter, it would jump back to the menu.  I
finally gave up, assuming that I would have to one day get my hands on
more RAM for this baby ( 512K is definitely not enough!).  A month later, I
realize, with the help of a few users out here, that the REAL vi is on one
of my encryption disks.  I transferred it over, and now Elm works GREAT!
	Now for the Horor part...  After giving up the first time, I removed
any and all files pertaining to Elm, hoping to do it again some other day.
I then tried installing it again, and to my surprise, this time it took
twice as long because of a mistake on my behalf.  I accidently left Sysinfo
running on the console which took up more memory.  Well, the 7300 churned
and gurgled for about a day, and when it was done, Elm Miraculously worked
fine.  I did my tests, got ready for bed, shut down the machine for the
night, and dreamed of a job well done... (I'm new to unix)
	The next day I came home from work and decided it was time to get back
to the machine and see how well things were going.  I turned on the power
switch, and prepared myself for the 5 minute wait.  I suddenly realized that
the machine was making less noise then it usually did, and it was printing
a line of blocks across the top of the screen.  the floppy drive also would
not turn off.  That was when I realized that the Hard-Drive was not booting
up... (ARgghhh)  You could imagine the look on my face when that happened!
I proved this theory when I stuck in my diagnostic disk and up it came to
the diagnostic menu.  So, why not make use of the program and do a system
diagnostic.  Everything was fine except that the Hard-drive would not respond.
I realized that I'd either have to open this baby up, or spend some more
greenbacks for a new drive.
	I originally wanted to see what made this thing tick, so I stripped
the machine down, and just for kicks and giggles, removed the 20 Meg hard-
drive and it's metal shell.  Handling the unit with care and prayers, I
looked it over for any physical damage.  Everying looked fine, as do most
pieces of electronic equipment when they take a nose-dive, so I set it down
on a soft cushion and noticed I could see and access the flywheel of the
platter motor.  Knowing I had to spend money anyway, I reached in with a
small screwdriver to turn the flywheel.  Yikes, the darn thing wouldn't
turn!!!  So, I then decided to see if I could make it turn with a little
effort.  It did turn, but with some drag, so I kept turning it slowly till
it started to turn freely.  When it came back around, some drag developed
again, but it slowly reduced as I kept turning the flywheel.
	After my extensive tour of the guts of my 7300, I decided to put it
partially together to see if it would boot up.  I switched on the power and
suddenly the motor began to spin and the power-up message came up.  The
look on my face must have been quite pleasing!  I haven't had any problems
as of yet but I did do a complete backup that night!!!

-Ralph

jac@penguin.UUCP (James Carter) (03/17/89)

In article <275@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US>, ralph@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Ralph Allas Jr) writes:
> on a soft cushion and noticed I could see and access the flywheel of the
> platter motor.  Knowing I had to spend money anyway, I reached in with a
> small screwdriver to turn the flywheel.  Yikes, the darn thing wouldn't
> turn!!!  So, I then decided to see if I could make it turn with a little
> effort.  It did turn, but with some drag, so I kept turning it slowly till
> it started to turn freely.  When it came back around, some drag developed
> again, but it slowly reduced as I kept turning the flywheel.

Shortly after purchasing my 3B1, I called the tech support folks where I
bought it and complained "this fan motor doesn't sound too healthy". I was
re-assured that there had "never been one go bad that we know of", and
not to worry. Well, the thing stays on 24 hours 7 days 52 weeks, but it
wasn't too long after this that I came home one day to the aroma of
melting plastic! The fan had gone south for the day, and the unit had
gotten hot enough to warp the louvers in the top of the base unit. The
system had shut down but not too gently! I picked up a new fan from the
shop, installed it (probably voiding the warranty since I hadn't been to
the factory approved school) and we have been running solidly since.

The moral of the story(s), isn't it wonderful that even in today's rapidly
advancing technological world, you can still make some things work by
listening, poking, and finding your screw driver :-)

Disclaimer: are you kidding? I own the place!
James A. (JC) Carter
Penguin Business Systems, Inc.