[comp.mail.elm] RFC 987, 1026

steve@raspail.cdcnet.cdc.com (Steve Schonberger) (03/15/89)

Are there any plans to extend elm to support RFC 987 and 1026?  Those
are the documents that suggest a format for gatewaying between RFC 822
mail (what elm is designed for) and x.400 mail.  Most of the differences
aren't real significant, so it probably wouldn't requre a lot of change
to elm.  It would be neat to have the best RFC 822 mailer also be the
best x.400 mailer.  (I'm assuming that if it were used in x.400 mode it
would be operating with a system agent that took the readable equivalents
of all the x.400 headers, rather than the binary junk.)  What's everyone
think of this idea?

	Steve Schonberger
	steve@raspail.cdcnet.cdc.com (probably)

rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (03/16/89)

In article <1611@raspail.cdcnet.cdc.com> steve@raspail.cdcnet.cdc.com (Steve Schonberger) writes:
+Are there any plans to extend elm to support RFC 987 and 1026?  Those
+are the documents that suggest a format for gatewaying between RFC 822
+mail (what elm is designed for) and x.400 mail.  Most of the differences
+aren't real significant, so it probably wouldn't requre a lot of change
+to elm.  It would be neat to have the best RFC 822 mailer also be the
+best x.400 mailer.  (I'm assuming that if it were used in x.400 mode it
+would be operating with a system agent that took the readable equivalents
+of all the x.400 headers, rather than the binary junk.)  What's everyone
+think of this idea?

I'm only getting the gist of what you're getting at, not being familiar
with the RFC's mentioned. Since you're talking about gatewaying between
RFC 822 and x.400 mail, wouldn't that be the responsibility of the
mail transport agent rather than the user interface program?

Btw, I know that "mail transport agent" is the technical expression
used to refer to such programs as rmail, sendmail, etc. What is
the equivalent technical expresion used to refer to the user
interface programs (e.g. mailx, elm, mh)?
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (03/17/89)

>+to elm.  It would be neat to have the best RFC 822 mailer also be the
>+best x.400 mailer.  (I'm assuming that if it were used in x.400 mode it

We should probably first get elm working right with RFC822 addresses.  Many
of them don't work right (try a source route or something with spaces in
it).

--
  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
  Ann Arbor, MI			mailrus!b-tech!zeeff