[comp.mail.elm] Adding To Post-Pager Commands

scs@vax3.iti.org (Steve Simmons) (04/06/89)

In article <4941@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>At first glance adding 'a' as a "post-pager" mode command looks
>like it shouldn't be a problem.
>
>Elm being a MUA that babysits you, I wonder if allowing 'c'
>in "post-pager" mode would be good. If you have ask=ON in your
>elmrc, you really won't know whether the messages you have marked
>for deletion are the ones you really want deleted, since you
>can't see the index screen with those D's. Perhaps the availability
>of the 'c' command in "post-pager" mode could be tied to
>	1. user level
>	2. whether or not ask=ON
>	3. whether or not there are any messages to be deleted.
>
>or some combination thereof.

This seems far and away the best choice -- let experts do 'risky'
things, and keep the naive user safe.  As long as we're talking about
the commands that would be nice to have work in post-pager mode, I'd
like:
	J,K (in addition to j,k)
	$ (yes! and it should throw you back to menu mode when done)

Maybe I'm just greedy, but I want them all... :-)  Is this a radical
change in the elm structure (ie, are they separate command processors)
or are we actually reducing complexity by this change?

   Steve Simmons         Just another midwestern boy
   scs@vax3.iti.org  -- or -- ...!sharkey!itivax!scs
         "Hey...you *can* get here from here!"

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (04/06/89)

In article <929@itivax.iti.org> scs@vax3.iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
	[deleted]
>things, and keep the naive user safe.  As long as we're talking about
>the commands that would be nice to have work in post-pager mode, I'd
>like:
>	J,K (in addition to j,k)
	^^^
Already in 2.2

	^
for what?
	^
Also in 2.2

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

scs@vax3.iti.org (Steve Simmons) (04/07/89)

In article <579@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>In article <929@itivax.iti.org> scs@vax3.iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
>	[deleted]
>>things, and keep the naive user safe.  As long as we're talking about
>>the commands that would be nice to have work in post-pager mode, I'd
>>like:
>	^
>for what?

To go directly to the options menu.  Say I'm reading a message, want to
print it in a funky format (ie, other than my default).  Currently I have
to go back to main menu, then to options menu, then to main, then print.
Four steps, three of which involve redoing the entire screen.  If I could
do 'o' from post-page, it'd be two.