[comp.mail.elm] Too many aliases

tran@versatc.UUCP (Tony Tran) (04/05/89)

Is there a limitation on the number of aliases in the aliases.text file?
I currently have 231 aliases, and every attempt to run "newalias" returns
an error message:

	** Too many aliases in file! **

	** Not saving tables!  Please fix and re-run newalias!

If I limit the number of aliases to 230, then newalias seems to run OK.
I know that mush doesn't have this restriction.

I am running Elm 2.1 PL1 on a SUN 3/160 SUN OS 3.4

Any comments, Sydney?

Tony Tran
Versatec Corp.

avi@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (avi.y.feldblum) (04/06/89)

In article <16351@versatc.UUCP> tran@versatc.UUCP (Tony Tran) writes:
>Is there a limitation on the number of aliases in the aliases.text file?

From the Configure script:

-----------

The number of aliases allowed for users of the Elm system can vary
based on system speed and memory available.  If you have a fast system
and/or a lot of memory you can enter a fairly large number of aliases
for the next two questions...if not, you'll probably want to enter the
suggested small-system values.  (This applies to the speed of the
swapping on your system too - if you're on a FAST system, use the big
values!)

First, how many aliases should be allowed for an individual user?
The suggested values are 503 for blindly fast systems,
251 for average systems and 127 for slow systems.

----------

So check with whoever did the configure, and see what values they
chose.

Avi Feldblum
ayf@pruxe.att.com

syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) (04/07/89)

In article <16351@versatc.UUCP> tran@versatc.UUCP (Tony Tran) writes:
>Is there a limitation on the number of aliases in the aliases.text file?
>I currently have 231 aliases, and every attempt to run "newalias" returns
>an error message:
One of the configuration options is the number of aliases to allow
for users and for the system alias table.  It appears that the
installer of Elm at your site has choosen 231.  (Which is one of
the default choices).  The only way to change this is to relink
Elm with a larger number and then rerun newalias for everyone as the
new tables won't be compatible with the old ones.

Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	                FAX:   (215) 938-0235