[comp.mail.elm] autoreply & autoreply & autoreply & autoreply &

dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) (03/30/89)

I have set up autoreply on my system. When I mail a message to a person
with his autoreply on, we both keep sending each other our autoreply
message over and over again due to the new mail in our mailbox. How do
I stop this?

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (04/01/89)

In article <198697@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:

>I have set up autoreply on my system. When I mail a message to a person
>with his autoreply on, we both keep sending each other our autoreply
>message over and over again due to the new mail in our mailbox. How do
>I stop this?

This will be fixed in the 2.2 release currently in final test.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

steve@ivaux.UUCP (Steve Lemke) (04/03/89)

In article <198697@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:
}
}I have set up autoreply on my system. When I mail a message to a person
}with his autoreply on, we both keep sending each other our autoreply
}message over and over again due to the new mail in our mailbox. How do
}I stop this?

You think that is bad - how about when my roommate set that up before leaving
for a week, and then a bunch of mail came in from an automated mailer (he is
on a "mailing list").  Well, guess what - autoreply sent a reply to each
incoming message, which went back to the "repeater", and each of his replies
got mailed to everyone on the mailing list, including himself, which then
generated that many more replies going back out, and so on, and so on...
--
----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
----- Internet: lemke@apple.ucsb.edu                 AppleLink:  Lemke

peterm@hpdtl.HP.COM (Peter Maxwell) (04/06/89)

Give up and use the Berkeley "vacation" program, in which you can set the
time interval for which it will not remail the same sender.  It works great.

	Peter

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (04/09/89)

In article <7230002@hpdtl.HP.COM> peterm@hpdtl.HP.COM (Peter Maxwell) writes:
>Give up and use the Berkeley "vacation" program, in which you can set the
>time interval for which it will not remail the same sender.  It works great.
>
>	Peter

The autoreply and arepdaemon programs are fixed and working in the 2.2
release, due out on Monday.  I know because I fixed them.

JB