[comp.mail.elm] print option problems

dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) (03/30/89)

I am trying to use the 'p' option to print my mail, but even though elm
tells me that the message has been sent to printer, it does not get
printed. I can use the pipe command to get it there, but not using
the 'p' command. I have including a portion of my elmrc file and
some examples of things I have tried.

#
# .elm/elmrc - options file for the Elm mail system
#
# Saved automatically by Elm 2.1 PL1 for Dan Troxel
#

# how to print a message ('%s' is the filename)
print = cat | lp -dprinter
(or)
print = lp -dprinter %s
(or)
print = | lp -dprinter
--
Dan Troxel @ Handwriting Research Corporation                  WK 1-602-957-8870
Camelback Corporate Center  2821 E. Camelback Road  Suite 600  Phoenix, AZ 85016

syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) (03/31/89)

In article <198696@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:

>I am trying to use the 'p' option to print my mail, but even though elm
>tells me that the message has been sent to printer, it does not get
>printed.
># how to print a message ('%s' is the filename)
>print = cat | lp -dprinter

Your almost there with this one.  It's

print = cat %s | lp -dprinter

The reason the lp -dprinter %s doesn't work is probably that elm deletes
the temporary file and lp cannot find it after its gone.  I believe
lp has an option to make a copy, but the cat method also solves the problem
where lp has no permission to read the directory where the file resides.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	                FAX:   (215) 938-0235

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (04/04/89)

+>
+
+Your almost there with this one.  It's
+
+print = cat %s | lp -dprinter
+
+The reason the lp -dprinter %s doesn't work is probably that elm deletes
+the temporary file and lp cannot find it after its gone.

Actually another reason why it doesn't work is that a filename as an
argument to System V lp(1) must be readable by "other", and for security
reasons ELM creates temp files with permissions 0600.
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (04/12/89)

In article <4929@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) writes:
+In article <100@dsinc.UUCP> syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) writes:

++Your almost there with this one.  It's
++
++print = cat %s | lp -dprinter
++
++The reason the lp -dprinter %s doesn't work is probably that elm deletes
++the temporary file and lp cannot find it after its gone.
+
+Actually another reason why it doesn't work is that a filename as an
+argument to System V lp(1) must be readable by "other", and for security
+reasons ELM creates temp files with permissions 0600.

Just use "lp -dprinter -c %s". (-c option means copy immediately).

It *should* work (although I didn't try it). Now the file is copied during
the lp command. This circumvents the problem of deletion of the file
temporary to Elm and it also creates a lp-readable file in the spool
directory of lp.

--
-- ######   Jos Vos   ######   Internet   jos@idca.tds.philips.nl   ######
-- ######             ######   UUCP         ...!mcvax!philapd!jos   ######