[comp.mail.elm] Problems with Sys V/AT

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (04/15/89)

    I'm trying to install Elm 2.2 on a Microport system running V/AT 2.4.
This system had previously been running Elm 2.1. I run Configure and it
gets all the way down to where it creates config.sh and then it core
dumps. I tried checking config.sh by hand and then manually running
config.h.SH and it core dumps. I'm assuming its actually config.h.SH
thats getting executing and causing the core dump.

    Can anyone suggest a workaround or perhaps have run into this
situation on a 286 ?  I just installed Elm 2.2 on my 386 running V/386
3.0e and it is working fine. I'm puzzled.   Thanks.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (04/15/89)

In article <410@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
+
+    I'm trying to install Elm 2.2 on a Microport system running V/AT 2.4.
+This system had previously been running Elm 2.1. I run Configure and it
+gets all the way down to where it creates config.sh and then it core
+dumps. I tried checking config.sh by hand and then manually running
+config.h.SH and it core dumps. I'm assuming its actually config.h.SH
+thats getting executing and causing the core dump.

The README file outlines this problem.
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

hack@merkin.UUCP (Greg Hackney) (04/15/89)

In article <410@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>    I'm trying to install Elm 2.2 on a Microport system running V/AT 2.4.
>This system had previously been running Elm 2.1. I run Configure and it
>gets all the way down to where it creates config.sh and then it core
>dumps. I tried checking config.sh by hand and then manually running
>config.h.SH and it core dumps. I'm assuming its actually config.h.SH
>thats getting executing and causing the core dump.

The problem is that the Configure program sets a truck load of environment
variables, and then trys to pass them to another process. The puny shell
that comes with Microport and the AT&T 6300+ can't handle that many.

If you have the korn shell, Configure will run under it. However you
must run the make under /bin/sh, or if you use the korn shell, type
"unset _" before running the make. I haven't tried csh.

If you don't have ksh, you'll have to figure out how to make the
Configure program run under one process, unless someone can think of
another way to get it to run.

I reported this problem to the development group a while back. Configure
used to run under Microport 286, but one day it finally got too big.
--
Greg Hackney
hack@merkin.cactus.org