[comp.mail.elm] Elm 2.2 Configure

tim@attdso.att.com (Tim J Ihde) (04/14/89)

I noticed something peculiar while running the Configure script for Elm 2.2.
It seemed that if I banged out to a shell at a Configure prompt, Configure
itself terminated.  I would get my subshell as expected, but when I then
typed exit to get back to Configure, it was gone and I just got my shell
prompt.

Has anyone else noticed this?  I'm running ksh if that makes a difference; I
know Configure warns about possible weirdness here.

	tim

--
Tim J Ihde				INTERNET:   tim@attdso.att.com
(201) 898-6687				UUCP:	    att!attdso!tim

jeff@cjsa.WA.COM (Jeffery Small) (04/15/89)

In article <1598@attdso.att.com>, tim@attdso.att.com (Tim J Ihde) writes:
> I noticed something peculiar while running the Configure script for Elm 2.2.
> It seemed that if I banged out to a shell at a Configure prompt, Configure
> itself terminated.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this?  I'm running ksh if that makes a difference; I
> know Configure warns about possible weirdness here.

Yes. I had the same difficulty on my 3B1 (3.51a OS) also running ksh.

Another problem during congiguration was that Configure incorrectly determined
that utimbuf was defined on this machine and failed to properly set up the
config.h file.  This caused leavembox.c to bomb.  This is compiling with the
shared library, so Configure may actually have found the definition in libc.a
and it was omitted (like a lot of other stuff) from the shared lib.

Other than these two minor problems, everything works great.  Nice job and
a tip of the hat to the development team!
--
Jeffery Small    (206) 485-5596            uw-beaver!uw-nsr!uw-warp
C. Jeffery Small and Associates                                    !cjsa!jeff

news@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) (04/19/89)

In article <1598@attdso.att.com> tim@attdso.att.com (Tim J Ihde) writes:
~It seemed that if I banged out to a shell at a Configure prompt, Configure
~itself terminated.  I would get my subshell as expected, but when I then
~typed exit to get back to Configure, it was gone and I just got my shell
~prompt.

This happened to me, also.  I was in ksh, I typed sh Configure, and started
configuring.  I banged out to a ksh, but when I returned, Configure
terminated.  This didn't happen with the 2.1 Configure (if I remember
correctly...).

--
-Todd Day-

    UUCP: {pyramid, ucbvax}!ucsbcsl!nessus!ivucsb!todd
Internet: todd%ivucsb.UUCP@anise.acc.com

ruiu@dragos.UUCP (dragos) (04/21/89)

  Now that Microport is Chapter 11, all of us who do not have ksh and
want Elm are SOL. We can't get ksh anymore. I never even got my 2.4
upgrade I had an upgrade contract for (sigh).

  So I guess it is time to hack the configurations scripts manualy (UGH!).

  My question to the net is, will some kind sould send me a uuencoded binary
of ksh, or maybe their config files so I can hack them to account for smail ?

  Sigh...

--
Dragos Ruiu               "Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were
   ...ruiu@dragos.UUCP     a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."