[comp.mail.elm] Look And Feel Changes To Elm

markw@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM (Mark H. Weber) (04/21/89)

In article <1579@umbio.MIAMI.EDU>, aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:

> ... had to do an 'i' to go back and were hopelessly confused.

   We have had the same complaint here.  I discovered that 'q' works as well
as 'i' to return to the index. You might find this more natural. I use
"less -pmQ" as a pager ("(D)isplay mail using" in your options menu), so I
hit 'qq' when I'm done with a message.

  Mark H. Weber ( markw@GVL.Unisys.COM or ...!gvlv2!markw )
  Unisys Defense Systems - Great Valley Laboratories
  PO Box 517  Paoli, PA  19301  (215) 648-7111

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (04/21/89)

In article <204@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM> markw@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM (Mark H. Weber) writes:
+In article <1579@umbio.MIAMI.EDU>, aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
+> ... had to do an 'i' to go back and were hopelessly confused.
+   We have had the same complaint here.  I discovered that 'q' works as well
+as 'i' to return to the index. You might find this more natural.

I'm not sure why someone would be confused since it says rather explicitly
something like "i to return to index screen".

In any case to make things more consistent than they were, we decided on
the following (after lots and lots of discussion):

	i	returns you to the index screen from a variety of
		"subordinate" screens

	q	quits the current operation and pops you back to the
		next higher operation. (Thus on some "subordinate"
		screens this winds up being the same as 'i', and on the
		index screen this exits the program.)

Formerly there was all manner of characters to return to the index screen,
including 'x', 'r', 'q', .... We tried to tighten things up, to give
one meaning to each command keystroke consistently throughout elm as
much as was possible.
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

scs@vax3.iti.org (Steve Simmons) (04/21/89)

In article <5083@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>In article <204@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM> markw@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM (Mark H. Weber) writes:
>+as 'i' to return to the index. You might find this more natural.
>
>I'm not sure why someone would be confused since it says rather explicitly
>something like "i to return to index screen".

I think they (and I) am complaining about something slightly different,
Rob.  The issue is not so much about the quality of the 2.2 interface
and the reasonableness of the commands.  It's that we have hundreds and
hundreds of users who've gotten elm 2.1/1.7 usage down to the point of
muscle memory -- and now their muscles are wrong.  After 10 days of
massive use of 2.2 (200+ messages per day) I'm *still* making errors.
If this were the first release of elm, 95% of the complaints you're
seeing wouldn't be there.

   Steve Simmons         Just another midwestern boy
   scs@vax3.iti.org  -- or -- ...!sharkey!itivax!scs
         "Hey...you *can* get here from here!"