[comp.mail.elm] A difference under BSD vs SysV

scs@vax3.iti.org (Steve Simmons) (04/21/89)

Circumtances: looking at a mailbox, some messages are deleted.  Give
the 'q' command.  In .elm/elmrc, ask = OFF.

Under 4.3 BSD, you are asked if the messages marked for deletion should
be deleted.  Under 5.2 on a UNIX-PC, they are automaticly deleted.  ???

   Steve Simmons         Just another midwestern boy
   scs@vax3.iti.org  -- or -- ...!sharkey!itivax!scs
         "Hey...you *can* get here from here!"

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (04/21/89)

+
+Under 4.3 BSD, you are asked if the messages marked for deletion should
+be deleted.  Under 5.2 on a UNIX-PC, they are automaticly deleted.  ???

Despite what the subject line says, this is *not* a BSD vs SYSV difference.
Something is wrong on your UNIX-PC. Nothing should be automatically
deleted with the 'q' command. It sounds like something is awry and the
command is being treated as if a 'Q'. Are you ***sure*** you are using the
newly compiled elm2.2 and not an earlier version? (Listen, I do stoopid
things, too. :-) ).
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

In article <5082@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>In article <997@itivax.iti.org> scs@vax3.iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
>+Under 4.3 BSD, you are asked if the messages marked for deletion should
>+be deleted.  Under 5.2 on a UNIX-PC, they are automaticly deleted.  ???
>
>Despite what the subject line says, this is *not* a BSD vs SYSV difference.
>Something is wrong on your UNIX-PC. Nothing should be automatically
>deleted with the 'q' command . . . . Are you ***sure*** you are using the
>newly compiled elm2.2 and not an earlier version? (Listen, I do stoopid
>things, too. :-) ).

Well, my latest stoopid thing was complaining before double-checking.  I
was comparing the performance of 'c' with 'q'.  At home my UNIX-PC tends
to have an elm window running for days on end.  When I actually quit,
things worked the same on both systems.  Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima
culpa.