[comp.mail.elm] outlogging of mail messages

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (04/22/89)

I have received a number of responses to my inquiry about the logging of
outgoing messages.  Everyone told me the same thing:  so set 'copy = ON'
and 'savemail = <folder>' in my ~/.elm/elmrc file.  I had already had
these options set, and no mail was being deposited in the specified
folder.  I have since discovered that my mail is being deposited in
folders having the same name as the recipient of the message.  I am not
sure whether I like this behavior or not.  Is there a way I can specify
that the messages all be filed in a single file again?  -David-

--
Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (04/23/89)

In article <448@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
+  Is there a way I can specify
+that the messages all be filed in a single file again?  -David-

Yes. RTFM.

I would suggest that any serious user of elm read the entire Reference Guide
from cover to cover.
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

aqm@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Steve Weinrich) (04/24/89)

In article <448@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
>I have received a number of responses to my inquiry about the logging of
>outgoing messages.  Everyone told me the same thing:  so set 'copy = ON'
>and 'savemail = <folder>' in my ~/.elm/elmrc file.  I had already had
>these options set, and no mail was being deposited in the specified
>folder.

  I cannot see from your description, but it appears that you might
have made a slight error in declaring what 'folder' you want your
mail to go into. If you declare the <folder> with a directory, then
ELM will figure you want each message to be sorted. But, if you declare
the <folder> with a file name, ie: outbound   then, ELM will save
all your outgoing messages in there.

  I once set the outbound <folder> to:  mbox    This had interesting
effects. Due to the fact that ELM only saves incoming messages AFTER
your quit, and outbound messages immediately after sending them, if I
looked at mbox, my replys would come before the messages that
 prompted them. :-)

  Good luck.

 -Steve
--
Steve Weinrich   -    Purdue University    -    Waterfront Computing Operations
E-Mail: aqm@{mace,mentor,h,i,j,k,s,staff}.cc.purdue.edu   hzm@en.ecn.purdue.edu

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (04/24/89)

+
+  I cannot see from your description, but it appears that you might
+have made a slight error in declaring what 'folder' you want your
+mail to go into. If you declare the <folder> with a directory, then
+ELM will figure you want each message to be sorted. But, if you declare
+the <folder> with a file name, ie: outbound   then, ELM will save
+all your outgoing messages in there.

If I am understanding what Steve wrote here, it's simply not the way
ELM works. Even though I already posted "RTFM" in response to David's
posting, I think I'll reply in full to nip any misinformation in the bud.

Saving a copy of outgoing messages is governed in two areas: your elmrc,
and a run-time option settable on a per-message basis.

elmrc	If copy = ON in your elmrc, a copy of each outgoing message
	will be saved by default.

	If savename = ON (and copy = ON) in your elmrc, a copy of each
	outgoing message  will be "saved by name", otherwise it will
	be saved to the folder denoted by the "sentmail" (aka savemail
	and saveto) option of your elmrc.

runtime	When sending a message (mail, reply, or forward commands), the
	send menu has a new option 'c', to alter the defaults as set
	in your elmrc (see above) for this particular outgoing message.
	You have four choices:
		- not save a copy
		- save to the "sentmail" folder
		- save by name
		- save to a specifically named folder

One further note, if in the end, the save-by-name option is in force,
a copy will be saved in a folder in your folders directory whose name
is taken from the logname of the first "To:" address of the message.
--

plocher%sally@Sun.COM (John Plocher) (04/25/89)

+---- In article <5096@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> Rob Bernardo writes:
| +---- In article <448@wubios.wustl.edu> David J. Camp writes:
| |  Is there a way ... messages all be filed in a single file again?
| +----
| Yes. RTFM.
+----

Am I the only one out here who is getting the impression that Rob just
doesn't like end users?  This message COULD have included the answer
to David's question, but as it was posted it has a 0% signal to noise ratio!

Come On you guys - we aren't trying to make you look bad or to minimize
the great job that you have done - not at all!  We (as much as you) would
like to see this project produce the best UA it can.  To this goal we are
trying to offer our best CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.  If you take this as a
personal insult (as you seem to) then may I suggest that you find someone
else to be the liason between the developers and the users?  We can't afford
to let personalities get in the way.

-John Plocher

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (04/25/89)

In article <100747@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher@sun.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
++---- In article <5096@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> Rob Bernardo writes:
+| +---- In article <448@wubios.wustl.edu> David J. Camp writes:
+| |  Is there a way ... messages all be filed in a single file again?
+| +----
+| Yes. RTFM.
++----
+
+Am I the only one out here who is getting the impression that Rob just
+doesn't like end users?  This message COULD have included the answer
+to David's question, but as it was posted it has a 0% signal to noise ratio!

You've taken my posting the wrong way. What I intended to convey was
that the issue was covered quite well in the documentation. (I don't
consider "RTFM" as an angry response - it's just a set phrase, which
to me [and others] means that the documentation covers the issue well.) As
posting costs $$, it saves money to point someone to the fuller authority
rather than post or paraphrase the whole section of the documentation
that's relevant.

+  To this goal we are
+trying to offer our best CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.  If you take this as a
+personal insult (as you seem to) then may I suggest that you find someone
+else to be the liason between the developers and the users?

Hm. I'm confused here. David's posting wasn't a criticism; it was a
request for information. And I wasn't insulted by it. You've
misinterpreted intentions here. It would behoove us who wish to use
this group for clear communication to remove whatever is stuck in
their craw (yours truly included :-) ) and relax. From my viewpoint
as an elm developer, this group is gaining the tenor of a lynch mob.

As I've said before, it would benefit users of elm 2.2
to read the reference guide as it explains quite well (IMHO) some of
the new features and heretofore undocumented features of elm.

Also, I'm just posting here just like anyone else. I'm not a liason for
the development team nor am a spokesperson for the team. The views I express
are solely my own.
--

gis@datlog.co.uk ( Ian Stewartson ) (04/25/89)

In article <5096@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>In article <448@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
>+  Is there a way I can specify
>+that the messages all be filed in a single file again?  -David-
>
>Yes. RTFM.
>
>I would suggest that any serious user of elm read the entire Reference Guide
>from cover to cover.

Since this function/feature changed from 2.1 to 2.2, it took me a day to
discover why this feature didn't work.  This seems a reasonable question
to ask.  I always have time to read through 100 pages of documentation to
spot the changes on an upgrade

You have to set savename to OFF.

Why cannot questions be answered with a little more courtesy - if you aren't
prepared to give an answer to a reasonable question, why waste my time with a
flame.

Ian Stewartson
Data Logic Ltd, Queens House, Greenhill Way, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 1YR, UK.
(Phone) +44 1 863 0383 (Telex) 888103 (Fax) +44 1 861 2010
(Network) gis@datlog.co.uk or ukc!datlog!gis

A strange voice answered him. "Problem, a little problem?  Well, at least
it's not a fully grown adult problem."

plocher%sally@Sun.COM (John Plocher) (04/26/89)

In article <5110@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>You've
>misinterpreted intentions here. It would behoove us who wish to use
>this group for clear communication to remove whatever is stuck in
>their craw (yours truly included :-) ) and relax. From my viewpoint
>as an elm developer, this group is gaining the tenor of a lynch mob.

And I seem to have been the one holding the bucket of tar :-)

I'm sorry about the ruckus - you know the old speck/log in eye problem.

As someone else said, when the biggest gripes a person can come up with
are those involving the way things look on the screen you don't really
have *serious* problems.  Thanks for setting me straight.

Now off to some on-the-job training...

	% /usr/games/hangman

  -John Plocher