| From news Mon Apr 24 08:42:51 1989
| Subject: test
| To: uucp@lethe.UUCP (uucp files)
| Date: Mon, 24 Apr 89 8:42:49 EDT
| From: Drew Sullivan <news@lethe.UUCP>
|
| test
+--------------------------------------

The recommened order is:
	Return-Path:,  Received:,  Date:,  From:,  Subject:,
	Sender:,  To:,  Cc:,  ...

Basically the Date:, and From: lines should be moved before the
Subject lines.
--
  -- Drew Sullivan, <drew@lethe.uucp>

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (04/26/89)

In article <2308@lethe.UUCP> drew@lethe.UUCP (Drew Sullivan) writes:
+I was testing some auto-mated mailer script and noticed that
+elm was generating the headers for mail messages in the wrong order.
+[Based on RFC822 dated Aug 13, 1982, Page 17 -- (4.) Message Specification]

I quote from the elm known buglist:

    RFC822 should be obeyed with regards to the recommended (but not
    obligatory) order of message header lines. Currently filter(1) and
    elm(1) put Subject: first because of a problem with some USG versions
    of rmail(1). Some USG versions of rmail(1) will put a null line
    before the header lines, thereby making them text body instead of
    header, if either the Subject: header line is not first or rmail(1)
    isn't called with a -s flag. The set of rmail(1)'s that tolerate the
    -s flag is a superset of the rmail(1)'s with this ``Subject: first''
    requirement, but not all rmail(1)'s tolerate -s. Therefore we need to
    find a way that Configure can determine if the rmail(1) on the system
    will tolerate the -s flag.

In other words:
	1. It is only a recommendation in RFC822.
	2. We know about the problem.
	3. We don't have a good way of dealing with complications posed by
	   rmail.
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) (04/29/89)

In article <5133@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) writes:

>I quote from the elm known buglist:

How about publishing this list to comp.mail.elm every so often, along
with the status? It might cut down on the redundant bug reports you
get, and might even get a few fixes mailed to you.

Dave Mack

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (04/29/89)

In article <5000@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
+How about publishing this list to comp.mail.elm every so often, along
+with the status? It might cut down on the redundant bug reports you
+get, and might even get a few fixes mailed to you.

This will be done. We've been quite busy just assembling and sifting
through the slew of bug reports that have come our way with the release
of ELM. You will see it here shortly.
--

syd@dsinc.DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (04/30/89)

In article <5000@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
:>
:
:How about publishing this list to comp.mail.elm every so often, along
:with the status? It might cut down on the redundant bug reports you
:get, and might even get a few fixes mailed to you.
:
:Dave Mack
I post the known bug list as part of the Monthly posting to comp.mail.elm.
So far I have posted it twice, once when 2.2 was just released at the start
of this month and once last night.  Both messages have an expiration date
of two months.  PLEASE read the monthly postings, they can explain alot.

Obviously the known bugs in 2.2 was useless before 2.2 was out.

Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235