[comp.mail.elm] Elm needs update option.

lad@lad.UUCP (lad) (04/26/89)

I run elm in a suntools window as the shell.  Because of this I never quit out
of elm because I'd lose the window and have to restart it again.

What elm needs is an UPDATE mailbox option, one that lets you write changes to
your mailfile, but dosen't leave elm.  Is this possible?

--
         Lawrence A. Deleski             |       Silicon Compiler Systems
         uunet!sdl!lad                   |       15 Independence Blvd.

rsk@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Rich Kulawiec) (04/27/89)

In article <1236@lad.UUCP> lad@lad.UUCP (lad) writes:
>What elm needs is an UPDATE mailbox option, one that lets you write changes to
>your mailfile, but dosen't leave elm.  Is this possible?

Yes; at least under 2.1, that is.  Simply use the "c" (change mailbox)
command and then just hit return when prompted for the name of the new mailbox.
Elm will print "resynchronizing file" and then make all pending updates
without exiting.

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (04/27/89)

In article <1236@lad.UUCP> lad@lad.UUCP (lad) writes:
+What elm needs is an UPDATE mailbox option, one that lets you write changes to
+your mailfile, but dosen't leave elm.  Is this possible?

Elm doesn't need un update option, it already has one! If I'm understanding
you correctly, what you want is the '$' (resync) command.
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

syd@dsinc.DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (04/27/89)

:
:Yes; at least under 2.1, that is.  Simply use the "c" (change mailbox)
:command and then just hit return when prompted for the name of the new mailbox.
:Elm will print "resynchronizing file" and then make all pending updates
:without exiting.

Then again, you could just use the $ for resync mailbox.  That will
also do it.  (Both the c and $ work in 2.2 as well as 2.1)

Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

bernie@ingr.com (Bernie Holl) (04/30/89)

In article <2293@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, rsk@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Rich Kulawiec) writes:
> In article <1236@lad.UUCP> lad@lad.UUCP (lad) writes:
> >What elm needs is an UPDATE mailbox option, one that lets you write changes to
> >your mailfile, but dosen't leave elm.  Is this possible?
>
> Yes; at least under 2.1, that is.  Simply use the "c" (change mailbox)
> command and then just hit return when prompted for the name of the new mailbox.
> Elm will print "resynchronizing file" and then make all pending updates
> without exiting.

That feature is allready there, use the '$' command, it will prompt you to
delete your messages and resync your mailbox.

                                          Bernie Holl Bldg. 11-10G  x6354
                                          b11!barney!bernie
					  uunet!ingr!barney!bernie   (uucp)
					  b11!barney!bernie@ingr.com (internet)