[comp.mail.elm] Return addressing

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (05/01/89)

We are having trouble getting elm to process our most common return
address, which is in Internet form:  our only node is this machine,
dalcs, which is converting to the name cs.dal.ca, and my home machine,
biomel, exchanges a lot of mail just with this node.  Elm replies to
mail from dalcs!user correctly, but our mailer does not accept the form
cs.dal.ca!user, and we would like Elm to change this to user@cs.dal.ca
(which is then mapped by the domains file to dalcs!user@cs.dal.ca),
or simply dalcs!user (although the former address works fine).
Any ideas on how to do this without modifying the code and creating
future maintenance headaches?

We have a direct path to cs.dal.ca in our pathalias database, and both
dalcs and cs.dal.ca are declared in L.sys and are returned by uuname.
--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (05/02/89)

In article <3256@cs.dal.ca>, silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) writes:
> We are having trouble getting elm to process our most common return
> address...
>
> We have a direct path to cs.dal.ca in our pathalias database...

I discovered that some of the aliases in the database (which we built
following instructions in the Alias Guide) worked and some didn't.  Old
addresses were deleted, results were still erratic.  However, after
playing around we find that ELM now reads the database correctly, and I
think (although I am not sure) that it might not have been sorted.

Although the Alias Guide does mention that the data base is normally
sorted (on p. 4), it does not warn the reader to sort it (on p. 5), so
it seemed worth posting a warning, if you build your own pathalias
database file, SORT IT!

By the way, am I missing something, or does the sample database on p. 5
contain single % signs when they should be doubled?  For example,
shouldn't the second line be PARC\t%s%%Xerox...?

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2
	UUCP: ...!{uunet,watmath}!dalcs!biomel!bill
	Internet: biomel@cs.dal.CA	BITNET: bs%dalcs@dalac.BITNET