[comp.mail.elm] Input Solicited For Elm Docs

scs@vax3.iti.org (Steve Simmons) (05/03/89)

We've begun work on two documents here, and would appreciate any or all
input available from the group.

The first should be done within two weeks.  It's a "Guide For Converting
From Elm 2.1 to 2.2".  It's some detailed suggestions for the naive users
to convert to 2.2, and a list of things that changed.  This is a rather
ephemeral document; it'll be posted here as soon as done.  Please email
me anything you've encountered in 2.2 that was a change from 2.1.  Yes,
I know 75% has already been posted here -- but I wasn't archiving it.

The second will take longer.  The working title is "The Beginner's Guide
To Electronic Mail With Elm".  It's intended for our users here at ITI,
but will be written in such a way that the serial numbers can be filed off
and it be placed in the generic Elm docs.  This is intended as a replacement
for the "Elm Users Guide".  It will be a completely new document.  The
target audience is secretaries, social science professionals, shipping
and receiving clerks, etc.  I'm aiming for a high-school freshman readability
index.  It'll be very low on theory, very high on examples.  Since we are
both an Internet and a UUCP site, we'll address both and talk about the
evils of mixed-mode addressing.  If you have any suggestions, existing
documents, etc, we'd very much like to see them.

Please send comments/email to scs@itivax.iti.org, ...!sharkey!itivax!scs.
If you're really desperate, POBox 1485, Ann Arbor, MI. 48106.

   Steve Simmons         Just another midwestern boy
   scs@vax3.iti.org  -- or -- ...!sharkey!itivax!scs
         "Hey...you *can* get here from here!"

syd@dsinc.DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (05/06/89)

Let me state, that although I support this document writing,
I was not consulted and it is not being done by the Elm
Development Group (In fact, this news message is my first hearing
of it).

Hey folks, the more help the better.

Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

scs@lokkur.UUCP (Steve Simmons) (05/08/89)

In article <128@dsinc.DSI.COM> syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) writes:
>Let me state, that although I support this document writing,
>I was not consulted and it is not being done by the Elm
>Development Group (In fact, this news message is my first hearing
>of it).

Ooops!  Syd's right, I didn't ask for any co-ordination with the
development group before plunging ahead.  I hope no one is offended.
Since I need to write these docs for work anyway, it seemed proper
to off them to the community at large [[thank Ghod I work for a
place that allows this]].

Just FYI, scs@iti.org and scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us are one and
the same.  Work and home, respectively.
--
Steve Simmons		...sharkey!lokkur!scs      scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us
  "Gordon Way's astonishment at suddenly being shot dead was nothing to

mike@pcsbst.UUCP (Mike Schroeder) (05/10/89)

In article <1420@lokkur.UUCP> scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) writes:
>In article <128@dsinc.DSI.COM> syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) writes:
>>Let me state, that although I support this document writing,

[....]

>Ooops!  Syd's right, I didn't ask for any co-ordination with the

[....]

hmm..., Syd is right! I think what you're trying to do should be
commended, however (in the interest of ELM and the support of the
ELM development group, please make sure to submit your work to
Syd so that it is included in future releases.

Cheers
---
Mike Schroeder		PCS-Mail: msc
SNAIL: PCS GmbH; Pfaelzer-Wald-Str. 36; D-8000 Muenchen 90; W. Germany
UUCP:  msc@pcsbst.UUCP   or  ...uunet!unido!pcsbst!cochise!mike
                         or  ...pyramid!pcsbst!cochise!mike
VOICE: xx49-89-68004208