[comp.mail.elm] readmsg bug

indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra Singhal) (05/06/89)

The utility 'readmsg' has a bug in that it does not output the complete
'To:' line if it occupies more than one physical line.  This bug shows
up when the 'p' key is used to print from the Elm main menu and when using
printmail to print mail !

Also, I think the Cc: line should not be filtered by readmsg. On my
printed copies of mail I like to know who else laid eyes on that
message.

--
Indra K. Singhal
{ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!indra

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (05/08/89)

What is the need for the "readmsg" program? It looks to me that it is
lots of overhead to use an external tool to extract messages from the
mailboxes. Each time it has to scan the whole file, parsing headers,
counting messages, copying them etc etc ... And it's error-prone: no
continuation-header lines, user-specified weedout list is not obeyed.
All information needed is present in Elm the moment it's needed.

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans			 jv@mh.nl via european backbone (mcvax)
Multihouse Automatisering bv		uucp: ..!{mcvax,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

syd@dsinc.DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (05/09/89)

In article <JV.89May8101205@mhres.mh.nl> jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
:What is the need for the "readmsg" program? It looks to me that it is
:lots of overhead to use an external tool to extract messages from the
:mailboxes. Each time it has to scan the whole file, parsing headers,
:counting messages, copying them etc etc ... And it's error-prone: no
:continuation-header lines, user-specified weedout list is not obeyed.
:All information needed is present in Elm the moment it's needed.
For the moment, the answer is because its there.

Aside from its use as a separate program in shell scripts, which I have
used it myself, Elm uses it because thats the way Dave Taylor wrote it.

The Elm development group inherited the code at a point in time and
readmsg was used and is being used.  As Elm gets rewritten it will
be considered whether it is proper to keep using readmsg in this fashion.

Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

scs@lokkur.UUCP (Steve Simmons) (05/11/89)

In article <JV.89May8101205@mhres.mh.nl> jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
>What is the need for the "readmsg" program? It looks to me that it is
>lots of overhead to use an external tool to extract messages from the
>mailboxes. Each time it has to scan the whole file, parsing headers,
>counting messages, copying them etc etc ... And it's error-prone: no
>continuation-header lines, user-specified weedout list is not obeyed.
>All information needed is present in Elm the moment it's needed.

True, but this is a case of different tools for different purposes.
For example, if one wishes to split a mailbox into separate individual
files one can do:

messages > /dev/null 2>&1
MSG_COUNT=$?
COUNT=1
while [ $COUNT -le $MSG_COUNT ] ; do
	readmsg $COUNT > mbox.sub.$COUNT
	COUNT=`expr $COUNT + 1`
done

Very useful when faced with mailboxes bigger than your /tmp space!
Better yet, pipe the output off to some other program that doesn't
know how to break up messages.
--
Steve Simmons		...sharkey!lokkur!scs      scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us
  "Gordon Way's astonishment at suddenly being shot dead was nothing to