[comp.mail.elm] Pagers In Elm

scs@vax3.iti.org (Steve Simmons) (05/16/89)

In article <32@wave4.webo.dg.com> tom@wave4.dg.com (Tom Jordahl) writes:
>I simply use less as the default pager.  Do many people do this?  Is more
>used for this default?  Why would you use the built-in pager if more powerfull
>pagers are "standard" ( I am referring to more here) on your system?

There seem to be two drawbacks to using external pagers.  First, there is
a perceptable performance loss while the tempfile is created and the
remote pager invoked.  Second, one seems to lose the nice command mode
that comes at the end of message -- instead you have to return to the
index to get the next message.  This latter was true in 2.1; it may have
been fixed/changed in 2.2.

This isn't to say external pagers aren't useful!  But those two reasons
keep me using the internal.

Steve Simmons         Just another midwestern boy
scs@vax3.iti.org  -- or -- ...!sharkey!itivax!scs
"Think of c++ as an object-oriented assembler..."

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (05/18/89)

In article <1206@itivax.iti.org> scs@vax3.iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
+There seem to be two drawbacks to using external pagers.  First, there is
+a perceptable performance loss while the tempfile is created and the
+remote pager invoked.  Second, one seems to lose the nice command mode
+that comes at the end of message -- instead you have to return to the
+index to get the next message.  This latter was true in 2.1; it may have
+been fixed/changed in 2.2.

It was *changed* in 2.2. (I specifically didn't say "fixed" because that's
they way 2.1 and earlier intended it to be. It took a lot of work to get
the external pager to allow elm commands without returning to the index
screen.) I *think* (don't remember) that the Reference Guide goes into
this a bit in discussing the elmrc option "promptafter".
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM