[comp.mail.elm] Suggestions

sl@unifax.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (05/13/89)

A couple of suggestions for elm:

	With builtin, when it's at the end of a message, take an extra space to
	get to the next message.

I find that often I'm reading through and hit the space bar and elm zips off
to the next message when I really wanted to delete or reply. Having to press
space an extra time would que me that I'm at the end of the message and
should figure out what I want to do with it.

	Aliases should not be case sensitive.

Mail addresses are not case sensitive. Why are aliases? Stuart.Lynne should
be the same as stuart.lynne when entered as an alias.

	Could we add another special char to allow direct saving to mailbox
	files in ~/Mail.

For example: =test means save in ~/Mail/test; #test could mean ~/News/test.
Feel free to suggest another character.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (05/14/89)

+
+	With builtin, when it's at the end of a message, take an extra space to
+	get to the next message.
+
+I find that often I'm reading through and hit the space bar and elm zips off
+to the next message when I really wanted to delete or reply. Having to press
+space an extra time would que me that I'm at the end of the message and
+should figure out what I want to do with it.

While Stuart has an interesting point, I'd like to mention that the prompt
is completely different when you've gotten to the end of the message, which
you can use to clue yourself into the fact that you're at the end.

+	Could we add another special char to allow direct saving to mailbox
+	files in ~/Mail.
+
+For example: =test means save in ~/Mail/test; #test could mean ~/News/test.
+Feel free to suggest another character.

I might be misunderstanding something, because Stuart's example seems
not to fit what he says.  He says he wants another special character to
expand to the folders directory, but your his shows it expanding to a
different directory.  If what he meant to say is

	Could we add another special char to allow direct saving to mailbox
	files in a  different directory.

then I ask: What different directory? Is there any one directory that people
have that bears some relationship to mail other the one's folders directory?
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

sl@unifax.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (05/16/89)

In article <5283@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>In article <121@unifax.UUCP> sl@unifax.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>+A couple of suggestions for elm:
>+
>+	With builtin, when it's at the end of a message, take an extra space to
>+	get to the next message.
>+
>+I find that often I'm reading through and hit the space bar and elm zips off
>+to the next message when I really wanted to delete or reply. Having to press
>+space an extra time would que me that I'm at the end of the message and
>+should figure out what I want to do with it.
>
>While Stuart has an interesting point, I'd like to mention that the prompt
>is completely different when you've gotten to the end of the message, which
>you can use to clue yourself into the fact that you're at the end.

Yes, but my fingers are not reading the bottom line, just tapping away.
Requiring the extra space just gives them more time to stop. It just seems
that (especially on messages where the last page is close to being a full
page) I keep ending up in the next message and have to go back.

>+	Could we add another special char to allow direct saving to mailbox
>+	files in ~/Mail.

Think, then type. Think, then type, Think, then type.

Yes I got it right in the example. I tend to save some types of things in my
News directory. For example if I got a mail message about this news article
I would prefer to store it in the News directory along with all of the other
news articles that I've received on this topic.

So change my suggestion to:

	Could we add another special char to allow direct saving to mailbox
	files in ~/News.

>then I ask: What different directory? Is there any one directory that people
>have that bears some relationship to mail other the one's folders directory?

Specifically the ~/News directory, as normally used by rn to save news
articles to.

One other suggestion while I'm at it:

	Could we add in an option to make elm through away all characters
	typed in advance. More like rn.

	In fact adding a few more of the features rn has like gracefully
	terminating an operation when a SIGINT is received.

Again, my fingers sometimes get in the way. In rn it doesn't seem to matter.
It doesn't take input until it's ready. So a few extra characters
accicentally typed are simply ignored. In elm you can find yourself in outer
space :-). In rn you can gracefully terminate an operation accidentally
started with ^C/DEL/BREAK. In elm you have to sit and curse while it goes
ahead. It would be nice to just have elm pay attention to a break and just

Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

pmm@mips.COM (Paul M. Moriarty) (05/17/89)

In article <125@unifax.UUCP> sl@unifax.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>In article <5283@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>>In article <121@unifax.UUCP> sl@unifax.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>>+A couple of suggestions for elm:
[...]
>One other suggestion while I'm at it:
>
>	Could we add in an option to make elm through away all characters
>	typed in advance. More like rn.

I like being able to type-ahead, especially at slower baud rates or
heavily loaded systems (not a problem at MIPS though :-). Actually
there is an option to rn that enables type-ahead. I, for one, wish
that it were enabled by default.

>	In fact adding a few more of the features rn has like gracefully
>	terminating an operation when a SIGINT is received.

I second this idea. Perhaps the default action should be to return you
to the index?

--
Paul M. Moriarty        pmm@mips.com          {ames,decwrl}!mips!pmm
MIPS Computers Systems

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (05/18/89)

In article <121@unifax.UUCP> sl@unifax.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:

>	Aliases should not be case sensitive.
>Mail addresses are not case sensitive. Why are aliases? Stuart.Lynne should
>be the same as stuart.lynne when entered as an alias.

The LOCAL part of a mail address (the `user' part) IS case sensitive !!!
See RFC822. Only the domain part is case insensitive (e.g.
monet.Berkeley.Edu and MoNeT.berkeley.EDU are equivalent).

One exception: the local address `postmaster' is case insensitive
(e.g. equivalent to PoStMaStEr or POSTmasTER). Also: see RFC822.

--
-- ######   Jos Vos   ######   Internet   jos@idca.tds.philips.nl   ######
-- ######             ######   UUCP         ...!mcvax!philapd!jos   ######

tim@attdso.att.com (Tim J Ihde) (05/18/89)

In article <19905@winchester.mips.COM> pmm@mips.COM (Paul M. Moriarty) writes:
>In article <125@unifax.UUCP> sl@unifax.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>>
>>	In fact adding a few more of the features rn has like gracefully
>>	terminating an operation when a SIGINT is received.
>
>I second this idea. Perhaps the default action should be to return you
>to the index?

(Hopefully I'm quoting the above correctly.)

I think this is a good idea, especially at certain prompts.  If I'm just
creating a message, and I realize that the to: field is wrong, right now
I'm stuck.  The only way out is to either backspace over the whole subject
and then hit return (I get asked "no subject, do you want to continue" and
respond with N).  It would be nice to be able to hit interrupt here and be
dropped back to the index, or at least have it erase the current subject
for me.

--
Tim J Ihde				INTERNET:   tim@attdso.att.com
(201) 898-6687				UUCP:	    att!attdso!tim