[comp.mail.elm] Problem reading mail folder and quitting.

lars@myab.se (Lars Pensj|) (05/23/89)

I have not followed recent discussions in this group, so this may be
"old" things.

When changing to a mail folder created by saved articles from rn, I get the
message: "Folder is corrupt.".
The articles are saved in  the mail format and can be read by mush. What is
the error ?

Another thing is that when I want to quit ('q') from elm, I want to configure
it to not ask any questions. This worked in an older version, but I can not
make it work in elm 2.2.

If the answer to these  problems are trivial, please reply with mail direct
to me.

    Lars Pensj|
    lars@myab.se
--
    Lars Pensj|
    lars@myab.se

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (05/24/89)

In article <460@myab.se> lars@myab.se (Lars Pensj|) writes:
+When changing to a mail folder created by saved articles from rn, I get the
+message: "Folder is corrupt.".

A folder will be considered corrupt if it's first non-null line is not of
the format
	From [address] [date]
If the first non-null line does not have that form, then rn(1) is *not*
saving the article in mailbox format. (I have rn(1) save in mailbox format
and it works.)

+Another thing is that when I want to quit ('q') from elm, I want to configure
+it to not ask any questions. This worked in an older version, but I can not
+make it work in elm 2.2.

Use the 'Q' command.
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

dirk@kulcs.uucp (Dirk Craeynest) (05/25/89)

In article <5372@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo)
writes:
>In article <460@myab.se> lars@myab.se (Lars Pensj|) writes:
>+When changing to a mail folder created by saved articles from rn, I
>+get the message: "Folder is corrupt.".
>
>A folder will be considered corrupt if it's first non-null line is not
>of the format
>	From [address] [date]
>If the first non-null line does not have that form, then rn(1) is *not*
>saving the article in mailbox format. (I have rn(1) save in mailbox
>format and it works.)

We also noticed the problem Lars mentioned.  When saving in mailbox
format from rn, a From line is prepended to the article, using the date
the article was saved.  However, elm and rn don't agree 100% on the
format of the first line in a folder.

Saving the referenced article gives:
  From prlb2!mcvax!uunet!cs.utexas.edu!sun-barr!apple!ames!pacbell!pbhyf!rob Thu May 25 11:32:49 MET DST 1989
  Article 1089 of comp.mail.elm:
  >From: rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo)
  Newsgroups: comp.mail.elm
  Subject: Re: Problem reading mail folder and quitting.
  [...]

rn(1) uses date(1) to build the From line, and since we are using
Daylight Saving Time in Belgium, DST is included after MET.  Elm doesn't
seem to like that...

Is elm correct in rejecting a header of that format?

Dirk Craeynest                    | domain: dirk@cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven    | bitnet: dirk@blekul60.bitnet
Department of Computer Science    | uucp:   dirk@kulcs.uucp
Celestijnenlaan 200 A             |       {uunet,mcvax}!prlb2!kulcs!dirk
B-3030 Leuven (Heverlee), Belgium | phone:  +(32) 16-200656 x3555
telex: 23674 kuleuv b             | fax:    +(32) 16-205308