[comp.mail.elm] Location of .signature files

scs@vax3.iti.org (Steve Simmons) (05/26/89)

In article <616@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>In article <224@levels.sait.edu.au> ccdn@levels.sait.edu.au (DAVID NEWALL) writes:
>>While we're making suggestions for the next version of elm:  I'd like the
>>two dashes that are put above the signature, removed.  In particular, they
>>offend my sense of aesthetics; and if I did want them, I could always put
>>them in my signature file.
>
> . . . rn and/or postnews will not accept a .signature file with more
>than 4 lines in it.  If the dashes are put in the .signature file then
>there is one line less for the signature.

Elm has the ability to take signatures from alternate locations.  The
following entries from a .elmrc file illustrate this:

   # local ".signature" file to append to appropriate messages...
   localsignature = /users/f/scs/.elm/sig.local

   # remote ".signature" file to append to appropriate messages...
   remotesignature = /users/f/scs/.elm/sig.remote

This lets me use an informal sig for at work, a formal one for
remote mail, and a downright strange on for news.  Put long sigs
(and `--' if you want it) in the ones you specify for elm, and a max
of four in the one for news.

Steve Simmons         Just another midwestern boy
scs@vax3.iti.org  -- or -- ...!sharkey!itivax!scs
"Think of c++ as an object-oriented assembler..."

jeff@cjsa.WA.COM (Jeffery Small) (05/26/89)

I often send mail to people at remote sites who know me well and I like to
append my localsig rather than the more formal remotesig.  What I would
like to see is the capability to specify, on a per-user basis, the name of
the signature file which should be automatically appended to a message
directed to that individual.  If implemented properly, you could then have
any number of different signatures.  Possibly, this could be added as (yet)
another field to the alias file. (??)  In the absence of an entry, the
current elm behavior would then be the default.

I would also like to have the signature imported into the body of the
document before the editor is fired up so that I can see exactly what I
will be sending out.  ... And as long as I am on this topic, I would also
like to add my support for the ability to have all the header info included
in the document so that I can review and/or edit it as well.  An elmrc
option could be added to allow a used to either have the current behavior
or force the header/sig info to be included.

Comments?
--
Jeffery Small    (206) 485-5596            uw-beaver!uw-nsr!uw-warp
C. Jeffery Small and Associates                                    !cjsa!jeff