[comp.mail.elm] Problems with SIGVEC & SV_INTERRUPTS

rusty@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (medford.w.haddock) (05/27/89)

Are my sources messed up or what?  I tried applying patch number 8
to my sources on a SysV machine at work and my 4.2BSD machine at home.
The "patches" to src/init.c concerning the replacement of #ifdef
SV_INTERRUPT with #ifdef SIGVEC (around line # 214) do not produce
a compilable(sp?) init.c for 4.2BSD.   Yes, the #ifdef's are replaced
but the SV_INTERRUPT that was used in between them is now apparently
undefined for a "real" BSD system.  [I say this 'cause you Sun folks
have some SystemV (and Ultrix ?) mixed in with your Berkeley]  Also,
with SIGVEC defined the structure members for sigvec are named
different for BSD.

Comments?  Questions?   Did I screw up/down/left/right???

			-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock		{uunet!likewise,att,arpa}!hocpa!rusty
AT&T Consumer Products Laboratories - Human Factors Laboratory

syd@dsinc.DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (05/27/89)

In article <166@cbnewsi.ATT.COM>, rusty@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (medford.w.haddock) writes:
> Are my sources messed up or what?  I tried applying patch number 8
> to my sources on a SysV machine at work and my 4.2BSD machine at home.
> The "patches" to src/init.c concerning the replacement of #ifdef
> SV_INTERRUPT with #ifdef SIGVEC (around line # 214) do not produce
> a compilable(sp?) init.c for 4.2BSD.   Yes, the #ifdef's are replaced
> but the SV_INTERRUPT that was used in between them is now apparently
> undefined for a "real" BSD system.  [I say this 'cause you Sun folks
> have some SystemV (and Ultrix ?) mixed in with your Berkeley]  Also,
> with SIGVEC defined the structure members for sigvec are named
> different for BSD.
Ok, world it appears we really have a problem with different vendors
doing this one differently.  I have access to only a limited set
of machines when doing the patches, so things like this can get out.

What I need is help.  From those sites where it doesn't work, I need
you to patch the code in init.c to make it work and submit a context
diff to me.  I also need a copy of your include file that defines
the sigvec structure.  Please also send me the name of the system,
the OS name and version, and a return e-mail address in case I have
questions.  (In this case I know its BSD4.2 derived, but not the
system name (DEC Vax or what?) and the actual version.

I will try to rewrite init.c and Configure to figure it all out.

In the interim, if you undef the sigvec define while running configure
(at the end of the configure run when it asks any corrections to make)
it will use the older signal interface and that should work.

Please try and bear with us.  When every vendor does this differently
it really makes for a headache in writing 'Portable' code.

Thank you for your patience.

Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235