[comp.mail.elm] wish list - edit message

chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) (06/02/89)

I still find myself going back to SCO's mail (that's mailx or Mail to you
bub) an awful lot.  The reason is that I review my "sentmail" folders
once a month, clean them up and archive them.  Generally this consists
of two actions -- deleteing the dozens of dinky test messages I mail out
every month, and replacing huge shar archives I mail to somebody with a
note something like:

	{{{ deleted shar archive of foobar V2.3 }}}

The problem is that the Elm "e" command is truly an edit mailbox command.
What I would like to do is just edit that one message, and the standard
mail reader does this very nicely.  Using Elm to do this is extremely
awkward.

Am I alone in this ... or is this feature something others might find
helpful in a future Elm release?
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
"I wish you'd put that starvation box down and go to bed" - Albert Collins' Mom

phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J. Philip Miller) (06/02/89)

In article <255@vector.Dallas.TX.US> chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>What I would like to do is just edit that one message, and the standard
>mail reader does this very nicely.  Using Elm to do this is extremely
>awkward.
>
>Am I alone in this ... or is this feature something others might find
>helpful in a future Elm release?

This is indeed a feature that I would also very much appreciate.  I find my
self going in using the editor to simply edit the raw folder file and
invariably my fat fingers can figure out a way to mess it up for future elm
access.

Another reason for wanting to do this is that we keep various "help" type
information publically available as folders - it provides a convenient method
for menu type accessing utilizing tools that users are already familiar with.
Maintaining this becomes more of a hastle than it should if small corrections
need to me made to messages in these folders.

-phil
--
J. Philip Miller - Div of Biostat - Washington Univ Medical School